TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just as the topic says......what are the largest rims i can put on my 97 cougar with out any problems or modifications to the fenders or wheel wells or anything like that? 18"x8" ?

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
you can put on 20s...I think someone here has 22s...

Effectively you are correct. unless you want to spend $1000 per tire you are stuck with 18s or smaller. most people have 17s as you can run a 45 or 50 series. With 18 inchers you will need 40 series tires.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Greenbird, do you know who has 22's. i'd like to take a look at them if possible.

anyways, you can fit 20's easily and 21's if you are not lowered (maybe not on the front t). don't know about the 22's though. it would be killer! i have 20's on my bird with a 2" in drop and i am yet to have any problems. the overall diameter is only about .3" larger than the stock. however, they are 8.5" wide versus the 7".

·
Registered
825 Posts
WickedBird: Post a pic man, I never knew u had 20's!!

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
GreenBird said:
With 18 inchers you will need 40 series tires.
why only a 40 series tire? will it rub or something. Just wondering because i was gonna buy some 24/45/18's friday.

·
Registered
209 Posts
im rollin on 20's

my car sits on the groound on 20's and there is no such thing as a 22 to fit our cars ive tried to get a set any brand wheels and they do not make a fwd 22 and the bigest u can get in the front of a t-bird is a 20's with a 35 series tire im selling a set of 20's that fit a t-bird and cougar if anyone wants to pay the right price they could be urs if u want pics let me know of my car or the rims

·
Registered
104 Posts
you are not looking in the right places for 22's. you can get 22's in a fwd offset but you have to look to the companies that sell billet wheels. most of them custom make the wheels for each customer. i have talked to one company and they will make a set if i wish. however, the rim is going to be 10" wide and the tire is either going to be a 265 or 285. if you want to keep your juice, you better get the torches out though. like you said, a 20 with a 35 series is it for the front.

btw, your bird is killer!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
fdawg93lx said:

why only a 40 series tire? will it rub or something. Just wondering because i was gonna buy some 24/45/18's friday.
To get the correct height. 245/40/18 is just a tad shorter than stock, that's what I'm running on the front of my 'Bird. On the rear I have 275/40/18.

·
Registered
801 Posts
well.......

i have the 17x9 cobra r's and im running the 245/45/17's and i cant even fit my pinky between the tire and the control arm this means that if it werent for my perfect allignment my tire would rub against the control arm, so make sure that the rims and tires you get fit.

Marvin M.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Re: well.......

Marvin M. said:
i have the 17x9 cobra r's and im running the 245/45/17's and i cant even fit my pinky between the tire and the control arm this means that if it werent for my perfect allignment my tire would rub against the control arm, so make sure that the rims and tires you get fit.

Marvin M.
good point. my 17x9s are the same. unless you guys are looking for FWD offsets to bring the rim out more the clearance there is going to be a problem.

i know some people like the rubbing, but with a 10" rim you probably wouldnt be able to get it all the way onto the hub and screwed in.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Those of you gus with 17s and 18s, do you know if yu can fit the KVR 13" big brake upgrade under those wheels? What tires do you run on them? BF Goodrich? Nitto? I'm just looking for ideas.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
AverageJoe said:
Those of you gus with 17s and 18s, do you know if yu can fit the KVR 13" big brake upgrade under those wheels? What tires do you run on them? BF Goodrich? Nitto? I'm just looking for ideas.
man, im all over the place. :cool:

the 13" will require 17" wheels, unless you are Mark McCormack. what hes doing is just not right. i used to run BFG Comp T/A's until they stopped making them. those were a great tire and im sure the new series are great as well. you cant go wrong with BFG or nitto. they are also pricey though, so i just bought some cheap kumhos that i can burn off without worrying.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
What's your opinion of Yokohama rubber?

·
Registered
244 Posts

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Hey BR1, do you have any pics of yourcar with those wheels and brakes?

·
Registered
244 Posts
sort of dude. its not much of a shot showing the brakes. my car is a cougar, but they're the same up front.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Exact show I was lookin for. Looks good, and those are 17s, correct? (Still debating between 17s and 18s)

·
Registered
244 Posts
those are 17, and i am going to be going to 18's next spring. during the winter i hope to scrounge up enough money to buy 18's. i just think those 17's look too small. i say, go with 18's, and put a tad more rubber than the stock overall diameter to retain some ride comfort.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts