TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience on this subject? I've been reading a little bit about this lately, as it's something I'm interested in checking out. I'm going to talk to my eye doctor about laser surgery in a few weeks when I go in. I'm really nervous about the idea just because I am so sensitive about my eyes, I can't even deal with wearing contacts...but if this could help me than it'd be worth it in my opinion.

I know there are two major types out there right now, PRK (which is fully FDA approved, doesn't require an incision but can't treat as severe cases) and LASIK (which has not yet been fully approved, is more dangerous in my opinion because it opens up more room for surgical error, but can treat more severe cases and has faster recovery). PRK is currently the only procedure permitted by the military, which doesn't matter for me anymore because I've since been disqualified medically to pursue my commission.

Right now my vision is somewhere between 20/100 and 20/200 (nearsighted)...and it'd probably be a little while before I actually had this done if I do (give my eyes a little more time to finish doing what they are going to), just wondered if anyone has any input...

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
mn12xr7 said:
you know I was thinking of doing the same and probably will be doing it

:zwthstpd: Im tired of wearing glasses..

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I'm on the waiting list for the Army's free PRK vision correction. A couple guys I know have had it done, and they just said that it felt like sand in their eyes for a couple weeks, and you have to use special eyedrops for a month or so, but everyone I know is really happy with it now.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
AnthraxBird said:
Wear contacts... =) I get to leave mine in for 1 - 2 months, safely!

I can't wear contacts because of my allergies.. I wanted to get contacts, but I think it would be better to get the eye surgery, but Im still in doubt if I should or not.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rich95XR7 said:
I'm on the waiting list for the Army's free PRK vision correction. A couple guys I know have had it done, and they just said that it felt like sand in their eyes for a couple weeks, and you have to use special eyedrops for a month or so, but everyone I know is really happy with it now.
How bad is your vision right now?

If it's not overly cost-prohibitive, I'm feeling more and more like this is something I want to pursue. If the military had let me in, I wouldn't have to worry about it, but oh well, that's life...

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
lasik is on my to do list for next year, the cost has gone down big time already, it is down to 499 per eye in san antonio, can't wait till till i'm out of glasses for good, lol, later'z........:D

·
Big-D
1,275 Posts
The thought has crossed my mind a time or two as well... and the good thing is I'm pretty sure my insurance will pay some of it... A friend of mine had it done back when they were advertising $799 per eye, but after the initial evaluation his eyes required something extra as the price ended up being different for each eye... Seems like his total ended up over $2000 total.

I've been kinda waiting it out to see how the overall procedures progress... seems like I heard that eventually you may have to return later on for a touch up procedure.... anyone heard of or know anything about that?

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
touch up procedure? that is news to me, the eye doctor i talked to last time failed to mention anything about that, i'll ask him next time.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Palmguy said:

How bad is your vision right now?

If it's not overly cost-prohibitive, I'm feeling more and more like this is something I want to pursue. If the military had let me in, I wouldn't have to worry about it, but oh well, that's life...
mine is 20/305 in one eye, and 20/200 in the other. Thank god for these plastic, thinner lenses, or I'd be walking around with Coke Bottles.

·
Anything But Typical
1,337 Posts
My mother-in-law had it done "back in the day", and now she has to wear reading glasses. But that was done when they didn't use lasers or anything like that.

I want to get mine done. I'm blind as a friggin' bat without my glasses, and contacts are such a pain in the rear sometimes. But, one surgery at a time! :D

--Molly

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Well, my dad used to be an opthalmic assistant when it first came out. He worked through it with a couple years and saw it improve greatly even back then. He still keeps up on it since he'd like to have it done some day and says it just keeps getting better procedure wise.

I'm fortunate enough to not need glasses, but I know if I did, I'd drop a few car mods and go get it done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had it done 2 years ago and love it. Its not painless like they say, but its just the thing that keep your eyes open that hurt. I think every one shoud have this done as soon as you can. It has given me freedom to do all the good things in life.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
my cousin had it done, he has no issues. i dont know what he paid for it . im also considering it as well .

·
Registered
46 Posts
They don't give it the anesthesia but they do give you some big pills that make you not care that they are cutting a flap around your eyes. when they start to use the laser it make a clicking sound and you can smell the flesh burning in your eye. it sounds bad but most deftly worth it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Craig-and-Molly said:
My mother-in-law had it done "back in the day", and now she has to wear reading glasses. But that was done when they didn't use lasers or anything like that.

I want to get mine done. I'm blind as a friggin' bat without my glasses, and contacts are such a pain in the rear sometimes. But, one surgery at a time! :D

--Molly
I went to a local seminar in Dallas at the Tylock center. They had a patient actually get done during the seminar and we got to watch parts of it. I'm going to get evaluated next week to see what they can do for me.

As far as the reading glasses go, they explained that. It's called Presbyopia and it is a natural part of aging. Even if you're nearsighted, eventually you may need reading glasses as the eyes age and become less able to refocus quickly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts