TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to j-mod my 2001 mustang gt and want to make sure i've got everything right. So here are my questions:

1)Do i need to drain the converter and how do i refill it?
2)Can i leave out both the top and bottom 1-2 springs for even firmer shifts?
3)Can i take out the 2-3 spring?
4)Do i have to put a tranny cooler on with the j-mod? If so, which do you reccomend?
5)Since I have an 01 evrything is alrady upgraded as far as accumulators/servos right? Are there any other upgrades i can make while the valve body is out?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
1. yes you can drain the converter when you fill the tranny through the fill tube it will fill the tc back up

2. yes you can take out the bottom 1-2 spring it will firm up the shifts. I believe your suppose to leave the top one in

3. Your suppose to take the 2-3 spring out when you do the mod. It says it in the tech article

4. Yes everything should be upgraded and ready to go. as for any other mods someone can chime in on that

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
2fast4uGT said:
I'm ready to j-mod my 2001 mustang gt and want to make sure i've got everything right. So here are my questions:

1)Do i need to drain the converter and how do i refill it?
2)Can i leave out both the top and bottom 1-2 springs for even firmer shifts?
3)Can i take out the 2-3 spring?
4)Since I have an 01 evrything is alrady upgraded as far as accumulators/servos right? Are there any other upgrades i can make while the valve body is out?
1) It wouldn't hurt if you want to. It refills with the transmission
2) Um, NO! LOL Just the bottom one but you CHANGE the top one. Read the article. It will tell you what the springs do.
3) Yes
4) You should be fine.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Tranny cooler is always a good idea. I've got a 24K B&M cooler from summit (around $50). Most people use ones of this size and they work well. Make sure you get a plate type cooler and not a tube and fin style cooler.

Joe

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would actually leave the bottom spring in. If the tranny shift isnt firm enough for you(it will be pretty quick, and quite firm with the spring), then you can drop it out. But many have felt the shifts were TOO firm with no bottom 1-2 spring.

DEFINATELY do NOT leave the top 1-2 spring out. Just replace it with the correct one listed in the JMOD tech article.

Definately remove the 2-3 spring. it will give you the best 2-3 shift you could ever imagine.

I went with w Hayden 26k cooler. It cost $74. including shipping. I dont know about Mustangs, but with my Mark VIII, I also had to roder proper fittings for the cooler lines in the heat exchnager(radiator). Go to Bulk-part.com for those

If you leave the bottom spring out, you will have not only a nice, quick shift, but it will be very firm as well. My 94 mark VIII 1-2 shift was too firm for my tastes. I was chasning the rear end all over the place everytime it shifted into second, if the ground was damp at all. I went back and re-installed my lower 1-2 spring, and it was pure perfection.

Best of luck, and enjoy the new "toy". It will feel like a whole new car.

·
8,239 Posts
for an 01 trans, I would just drill the plate and put new valve body gaskets in it and call it a day.

That converter most likely won't have a drainplug on it, so you will have to pump it out the cooler line.

Good time to install a cooler also.

JH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts