TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on doing a PnP'd NPI (97's) head swap to the Cat in roughly a week or so if all goes as planned. I have a few questions yet as to what would be some good decisions. First off, here's the planned set up.

97 heads PnP, PI port matched
99 PI cams
04 PI intake w/al x over
02/03 80mm GT MAF

Everything on top is going to be switched over to the 96/7 style upper, and I'll be using the stock 65 mm t body and upper plenum for the time being, unless I have some extra $$ floating around when I get all my parts.

Now for the questions...What size injectors would you propose I use? I plan on SCing in the future, if I use overly large (46 or so?) now will that hurt anything? Or should I stay with something in the 30's or even 24's for now?

As for the PI port matching, I know that the coolant passage on the NPI heads is larger than that of the PI's, and since I will be using the PI intake, should I have the colant passage in the heads welded shut a bit to match it up to the gasket and intake, or would there be anything else that could be done?

I will be getting a full dual exhaust later this fall, and possibly upgrade the TC when I do the swap here in a couple weeks.

Any tips to make this go as smooth as possible would be great too. Thanks all

Joe

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
You'll be fine with the stock upper intake, and I would recommend you stick with the 19 pound injectors. There is no need to upgrade now, you should use the smallest injector that supports your power level. Get your injectors when you know exactly what you'll be doing as far as a blower is concerned.

Do the TC now if you can.

You're pulling the motor I assume? They're expensive but now would be a great time for Kooks.

I'd leave the coolant passages alone, PI intakes on untouched NPI heads is commonplace, without issue. Don't fix it if it ain't broke ;)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, motor's staying in. It'll be a somewhat bare engine bay, but I think it'll be doable. I don't know if I have the patience to pull the motor or not. Right now, I've got the SS Autochrome shorties on. Definately don't have enough $$ for the Kooks right now, otherwise I would. That'll probably go along with the forged short block.

The reason I asked about the coolant passages is b/c the intake ports on the NPI heads is going to be port matched to the PI intake. And using the PI gaskets, the coolant passage will be smaller, I'm assuming, havent actually got the gaskets yet. I was just worried about the possibility of a coolant leak somewhere along the line. But if everything is going to seal up nice and neat, I won;t worry about it.

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts