TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to upgrade my tranny soon to a stronger 4r70w. Mine has about 250K on it and is still working great, but just want to check out how much this is going to cost me. I went to greenleaf's website and looked at trannys for '03 Crown Vics, but what is the best car/truck to get one out of. It must have the teeth on the output shaft because I dont wanna buy a speedcal. Is there going to be a problem with speedo gears since I have 3.73s? I've searched on this and can't seem to find a best car to get one out of. Also, for the ppl who have done the upgrade...did you feel any difference? Did you use the TC that came with the tranny? I'm thinking that I will send mine out to dirtydog when the time comes. Thanks
-Rob

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I would think that either a Mustang, or an explorer tranny would work. Mine came from an 01 Grand Marquis. I have to change the speedo gear so it will match my rear gears.

Get a cooler installed when the time comes. 24K minimal.

And yes, send the TC to Allan, or better yet, get a Marauder or any converter that is not the stock 12" version, and have him do it up good.

Jay

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
One from a 99 - 02 Mustang GT will work. 03+ will also but apparently they lack the teeth to drive the speed sensor.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are so many different part numbers when I do a search for '03 Vic on greenleaf. I even called the guy I bought my explorer engine from and he said there were alot and would need to give him a transmission tag code (PN i believe). Which is best? I want a '03 that is totally hooked up with eveytihng and has the speedo teeth. Thanks
-Rob

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
but they are in FT worth. Does anyone have one with speedo teeth also know the PN on their tag? Also, am I going to have problems with my speedo gear, 3.73s, and the 8 tooth output shaft (i think the late model ones that have speedo teeth are 8 tooth) Thanks again!
-Rob

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you want to keep it simple, go with a 98+ tranny...Mustang, whatever. Then, with the extra funds, buy a 99+ valve body. I know the gearsets are stronger in the 99+ truck trannies...but FWIW, a 98 Mustang tranny can handle quite a bit of snuff.

I searched(Thanks, again, to Alan, and JL) for a CV/G.Marquis tranny, Mustang, 5.4L truck, you name it...all the trannies I found had 50k+ miles on them, and were back east, or would cost well over $250 to ship.

I found a 98+ Mustang tranny right here on this site. I didnt ugrade to the 99VB, but the tranny had all the JMOD done to it, amoung other things, and I bought a '03 Mach 1 TC.

I did all this, including freight, for less than $800. Of course, I did all the labor so that kept my price way down.

I still need either a speed-calibrator, or a new speedo gear...the Mustang shaft has a different tooth count than my 94 mark VIII had.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know what I'm gonna do for a transmission. My old one still works great. Plus I need to think of how I would get alan to do my TC but have virtually no downtime. I wonder if he does some kinda core system. Anyway thanks
-Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts