TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, with only 55.5k miles on my '97 4.6 TBird sport the infamous intake manifold cracked I believe.
I was looking back at the posts regarding this Ford Repair Code and it looks like mine might still be eligible:Car was built in 9/96, and was purchased most likely sometime in early '97, is there a FORD website that I can go to to learn what I need to know so I can be armed with the same info as my local dealer comes up with on Tuesday?? I understand that there is some official Ford site that I can put my VIN into and get this info, Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
the extension is for 7 years from the original purchase date.......unless your car was purchased sometime after today's date, 7 years ago, the campaign is no longer valid

but on the bright side, since its a 97, a 01+ PI intake manifold w/ the aluminum crossover can be had for as little as $100 if you look hard enough :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, So I'm screwed by time on the campaign, that sucks!
I've heard some about the PI intake with the aluminum crossover, do you mean that in some way the PI unit is better than what was on my engine originally?
And what intake would a Ford dealer install to replace the defective one? a NON PI?? Couldn't I specify that they use the PI?? is there any modifications that would be nessessary to install the PI? or is it a direct bolt on upgrade/swap?
Any performance benefits to the PI? Thanks!

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Cougarbird said:
OK, So I'm screwed by time on the campaign, that sucks!
I've heard some about the PI intake with the aluminum crossover, do you mean that in some way the PI unit is better than what was on my engine originally?
And what intake would a Ford dealer install to replace the defective one? a NON PI?? Couldn't I specify that they use the PI?? is there any modifications that would be nessessary to install the PI? or is it a direct bolt on upgrade/swap?
Any performance benefits to the PI? Thanks!
The delaer will not put a PI intake on the car-it'll be another NPI,and they sell for about $325 new.
The PI intake is a performance improvement(how does 40rwhp at 6K rpms sound to you?), only needs a few small items in order to install it,and it's only $167 new from Dan Newman.
JL

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
If you decide to go with another NPI, I have one that was just put on my car in August because of the recall. It has the aluminum cross over, and came off my car a couple of days ago because of a PI swap. PM me if you are interested in the NPI for supercheap.

Pete

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, So, if my car is not going to be repaired for free by Ford, then is sounds like I'd be better off to buy the PI myself and install it myself, cheaper in the long run.
Is the PI a direct bolt on swap/upgrade to my '97 4.6 TBird engine?? Is there a tech article somewhere that I can read? I don't mind small stuff, but frankly I've never done more than oil changes,tune up, and serpentine belt on this engine and I'm kinda scared.......its not the old 289/302 that I can work on blindfolded.
I've heard something concerning the particular years that the PI intake won't fit w/o modifications/adaptors, is my '97 (manufactured prior to 9/96 new enough??)I also kind of hate the thought of my local dealers grease monkeys working on our cream puff 55k mile Bird! Thanks!

·
Registered
501 Posts
just some details on the PI intake swap...
few things i didn't know about......

1. stock coolant tube has a sensor on it that people say is for the defroster temperature, that the new PI doesnt have.....i have no heater core, so i didn't worry bout that one

2. the NPI gaskets CAN be placed on the PI intake and allowed to set PRIOR to setting the intake in place on the cylinder head ports......all i did was put a 1/4" bead of hi-temp RTV on the parts of the intake runners that needed it, placed the NPI gaskets on the intake (while the intake was upside down)......pressed down on them to make a good seal, and placed the entire intake upside down between two boxes, and placed two heavy encylopedia books on the gaskets so RTV would dry evenly, and not lope the gaskets to one side.....with the RTV dried, it can then be slide underneath the fuel rails/injectors without having to disconnect them....i just had my dad hold the rails/injectors up while i slid it in

3. the pass. side fuel rail did not sit down properly because the hard white fuel line that goes to the drivers' side (around the rear vicinity of the engine, not the front one) hit the [taller] intake runner that it is near......the rear pass. side injector was a good 1/4" from the actual intake manifold itself.......had to separate the fuel lines where they are 'connected' together with small welds on the metal parts.......this allowed the fuel lines to separate at that metal junction and this finally allowed me to finish the swap

don't have pics, but will definitely have some soon so everyone can see what i'm talking about

a million thanks to Jurgen, who helped me out tremendously with this swap, and the C&L plenum swap....i will also get pics of the mod he told me for the brakes w/o drilling plenum

since the machine shops here were way overpricing me to drill/tap the aluminum Xover, i bought the 9/16" drill bit, and the 3/8" NPT tap and tapped it myself....zero problems.......so if anyone needs their Xover tapped, just send it on over

thanks guitar maestro and a million thanks 2 "Jurgen"

Tom

·
8,239 Posts
Here's a question that I haven't seen addressed before.

Is there a big difference in the NPI/PI intake in the 4.6 Triton truck motors?

I have a 98 F150 and was wondering if it would be the same deal to put a 2001 F150 intake on there.

As some of you probably know, the truck intake is very different and taller than the mustang car intake, I assume the long runners are to make more torque down low.

Just throwing that out there.

JH

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
281Sleeper said:
just some details on the PI intake swap...
few things i didn't know about......

1. stock coolant tube has a sensor on it that people say is for the defroster temperature, that the new PI doesnt have.....i have no heater core, so i didn't worry bout that one

2. the NPI gaskets CAN be placed on the PI intake and allowed to set PRIOR to setting the intake in place on the cylinder head ports......all i did was put a 1/4" bead of hi-temp RTV on the parts of the intake runners that needed it, placed the NPI gaskets on the intake (while the intake was upside down)......pressed down on them to make a good seal, and placed the entire intake upside down between two boxes, and placed two heavy encylopedia books on the gaskets so RTV would dry evenly, and not lope the gaskets to one side.....with the RTV dried, it can then be slide underneath the fuel rails/injectors without having to disconnect them....i just had my dad hold the rails/injectors up while i slid it in

3. the pass. side fuel rail did not sit down properly because the hard white fuel line that goes to the drivers' side (around the rear vicinity of the engine, not the front one) hit the [taller] intake runner that it is near......the rear pass. side injector was a good 1/4" from the actual intake manifold itself.......had to separate the fuel lines where they are 'connected' together with small welds on the metal parts.......this allowed the fuel lines to separate at that metal junction and this finally allowed me to finish the swap

don't have pics, but will definitely have some soon so everyone can see what i'm talking about

a million thanks to Jurgen, who helped me out tremendously with this swap, and the C&L plenum swap....i will also get pics of the mod he told me for the brakes w/o drilling plenum

since the machine shops here were way overpricing me to drill/tap the aluminum Xover, i bought the 9/16" drill bit, and the 3/8" NPT tap and tapped it myself....zero problems.......so if anyone needs their Xover tapped, just send it on over

thanks guitar maestro and a million thanks 2 "Jurgen"

Tom
i've done 2 pi intake swaps (one on a 96 and one on a 97) and neither stock coolant tube had a sensor on it. i think the sensor is only there if you have the automatic climate control. also i never had to mess with the fuel rails they fit right on with no problems at all. Its basically a direct swap for 96-97's except you need rtv and you have to change the coolant line in the valley.

Frank

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
fdawg97lx said:
i think the sensor is only there if you have the automatic climate control. also i never had to mess with the fuel rails they fit right on with no problems at all.
only ford would know what they hell they did.....i had the sensor and DO NOT have auto climate control.......also, im pretty sure im the only one whose fuel rails would not allow to sit the injectors properly due to that tall rear intake runner........maybe Ford was using left-over parts when they made my car.......hehe

·
8,239 Posts
I have never seen a 94+ tbird that did not have automatic climate control. Or cougar for that matter. Do you have a picture of your setup? I know that they dropped some stuff in 96, then alot of stuff in 97.

I was amazed that my 96 didn't have a trunk popper in the center bin console.

JH

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
JustinH said:
I have never seen a 94+ tbird that did not have automatic climate control. Or cougar for that matter. Do you have a picture of your setup? I know that they dropped some stuff in 96, then alot of stuff in 97.

JH
My brother's 95 Cougar and my 97 Cougar both don't have it. It's just the typical Ford setup, exact same as the Mustang's, where you have one knob for fan speed, another for temperature, and the third one controls which vents the air goes through.

Pete

·
3,232 Posts
JustinH said:

JH
Regular climate controls here..
JL

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
JustinH said:

JH
i think the auto climate came with the conveinience package, like with auto headlights, power antenna, etc. on the other hand i've never seen an tbird/cougar without a trunk popper.

Frank

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Full manual Climate Controls here.

Trunk release is on the list of standard equipment in my 96 catalog.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
my 97 has all manual A/C as well.

·
3,232 Posts
fdawg97lx said:

i think the auto climate came with the conveinience package, like with auto headlights, power antenna, etc. on the other hand i've never seen an tbird/cougar without a trunk popper.

Frank
No remote trunk release here either.
JL

1 - 20 of 45 Posts