TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 89' N/A 3.8l seems to be a tired little guy. Heres the problem. If i go into WOT the engine just...doesnt do much. Its as if its just lazy. It just gives a bit of a rumbling noise. I thought perhaps my cat might have been clogged and there was just a restriction holding the engine back, but I ran the car with open headers and it still performed the same way only a bit louder. I havent had time to check the EGR diaphram or solenoid yet, but ive heard fords are notorious for EGR problems. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Try checking the IAC and TPS voltages for lower voltage than required to run properly. You'll need a haynes or chilton's manual to find the voltages. Sounds to me like something related to that though.
-Thomas

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ive checked the TPS before, and its voltage was normal all through the range of travel, as for the IAC do you think that would effect drivability? Thanks for the advice though. Ill see if the stepper motor is working properly.

·
8,978 Posts
It's worth a shot. You never know what weird things cars will do.

·
8,978 Posts
big mike said:
sounds like you may need a tune up. just my .02.
Way ta go Mike! :D

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Well, I would scan the computer for codes first. That might help narrow it down.

If that doesn't help, I would go about things the old-fashioned way. Process of elimination. You checked the TPS, which is good. Check the ECT (coolant temp sensor), your BAP sensor, O2 sensors. Also, you might have a fuel problem. It could be a dying fuel pump, or clogged injectors, or maybe a bad FPR. Timing could be off, I guess. Check plugs and wires, and maybe inspect the distributor (cracked cap, or the rotor could wear out) and coil.

edit: The fuel filter could be clogged. Oh yeah, and you might want a compression test if nothing else helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts