TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran out of gas in my '97 T-Bird last week. Gauge showed just under a quarter tank and the low fuel light was not on. I could hear the fuel pump turn on with they key on. I had no pressure on the rail, but I did have a little bit of gas as the Schrader valve (not enough pressure though). I figured the pump was bad since it sounded like a wounded duck when it did prime. I changed out the pump (I noticed there was some fuel in the tank, but not very much) and still nothing. I added a few gallons of gas and eventually it primed and got it going. I filled it up and the gauge took a looooooooooooong time to come up to the full mark (like 20 minutes of driving). Now I don't trust the gauge.

Has anybody else had this issue? I see that most people have problems with the anti-slosh module, but that does not appear to be the case given my symptoms. Up until last week it was working perfectly fine. Bad gauge?

·
Super Moderator
5,167 Posts
Dampened sending unit on new pump, combined with anti-slosh board. Nothing wrong with it taking a few minutes to come up, unless you're expecting to have a ruptured fuel tank.

RwP

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly. The tank looked fine when I dropped it. I did replace the entire sending unit, pump, and sock (Delphi - made in Mexico, better than China I guess). I also replaced the fuel filter since who knows when it was last changed.

I'll keep an eye on it and the mileage and keep a small container of gas in the trunk. I'm still not sure why it never read empty in the first place though. When it first died it was reading about 1/8 tank and I was on level ground. When I went to the gas station to fill it up I had to pull up an incline to get into the station. Gauge was showing about 1/4 tank and it stalled and wouldn't restart about 15 feet from the pump. Might as well have been a mile. The front passenger corner of the car was the highest point so it took 4 gallons of gas to get to the fuel pump. Finally got it restarted and to the pump and it took a hair over 15 gallons to fill up.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
2,871 Posts
Kevin, RalphP mentioned the Anti Slosh module. It's in the guage cluster. They get old.

·
Administrator
8,244 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts