TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so heres the deal, i've read a couple of threads on here about changing the lwr control arm/ balljoint, but what i'm wondering is that on the drivers side lca it accepts a new press in ball joint and my passenger side doesnt seem to. the to lca look nothing alike where the ball joint is in them. i'm just wondering if theres a replacement that will accept a balljoint without changing the lca. i changed just the balljoint on the drivers side last year in my drive way using a jack, hammer, and a chisel.:confused:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
so heres the deal, i've read a couple of threads on here about changing the lwr control arm/ balljoint, but what i'm wondering is that on the drivers side lca it accepts a new press in ball joint and my passenger side doesnt seem to. the to lca look nothing alike where the ball joint is in them. i'm just wondering if theres a replacement that will accept a balljoint without changing the lca. i changed just the balljoint on the drivers side last year in my drive way using a jack, hammer, and a chisel.:confused:
Both LCA's are identical except for the fact that one's for the right-side and one's for the left-side. In my opinion, it simply is not worth the hassle to replace just the ball-joint; it's much easier to just replace the entire arm. I bought new LCA's for my '97 T-Bird a couple of months ago at Advance Auto Parts for about $56 each.

How much did you pay for your ball-joint?

Dennis

·
Registered
53 Posts
i changed just the balljoint on the drivers side last year in my drive way using a jack, hammer, and a chisel
I'm impressed. I changed the actual ball joint ONCE in a '93 I had. After a few hours of fighting with it I took it to a friends machine shop and it took 5 tons to press the new one in. Since then, I've just put whole new LCAs on. You get the added bonus of new bushings all the way down it, too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both LCA's are identical except for the fact that one's for the right-side and one's for the left-side. In my opinion, it simply is not worth the hassle to replace just the ball-joint; it's much easier to just replace the entire arm. I bought new LCA's for my '97 T-Bird a couple of months ago at Advance Auto Parts for about $56 each.

How much did you pay for your ball-joint?

Dennis
well they're not identical otherwise i wouldnt hav posted nething and just continued beating on it, or took it to work and pressed it out. i priced a balljoint at $70 i think i dont remember exactly. but i am replacing the lca now.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
well they're not identical otherwise i wouldnt hav posted nething and just continued beating on it, or took it to work and pressed it out. i priced a balljoint at $70 i think i dont remember exactly. but i am replacing the lca now.
Well, your LCA's must've been from 2 diffrent maufacturers then - the two I bought for my Thunderbird were both made by TRW and they were identical in EVERY WAY except, as I said, 1 being for the left side and 1 being for the right. Hope you get it replaced without difficulty!

Dennis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts