TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Tour de France cycle racing fans out there?

I always enjoy watching these guys battle it out each summer on the beautiful roads of Europe.

·
̇
3,702 Posts
Not really...

If you're a "Tour de France" fan..

You might enjoy this old movie though..

Classic!.. :tongue:

Rayo..

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,255 Posts
Like the race.
Don't always understand the strategy, team rules, time trials, etc.....
Bike, Thats my favorite transportation device.

·
Registered
531 Posts
...and let's not forget the Hell of the West.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU_nfr1dLjs

Congrats to the Brit.

I rode in a 40-mile bike-a-thon in college once during the 80's.

To train for it, I rode 15 miles out and back to a small town. I remember there was a couple of country dogs in a sloping curve halfway there.

I could blow by them on the downhill going out but always had to have a good kick on the way back. :)

Kinda like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVyqe6Yy8m4

Fun stuff.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I DVR'd it on NBC Sports. I watched it all, but nothing really got me excited. Time would have been better spent on my bike.

I'm surprised I havn't seen that movie..

Rayo..
Breaking Away and American Flyers are like "The Gone in 60 Seconds" of bike movies as it relates to Mustangs.

"Oh you own a Mustang, ever seen this movie????" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
531 Posts
I had an apartment on Coronado Island when I was in the Navy back in the early 90s. I had my parents ship my light blue metallic Garelli Strada out there in a cardboard box.

I used to ride it down the strand to Imperial Beach on Sunday afternoons. It was about 8 miles or so each way IIRC.

The tailwind was awesome going down, but you paid for it on the way back. I rarely could go higher than the lower gears most of the time on the way back. The return trip was a brutal but good resistance run.

The bike is still among the junk in my backyard shed. I haven't ridden it in years.

I rode a nice mountain bike some years ago and I felt the gear ratios were a little more comfortable for city riding.

Now I am kinda getting the urge to pull the Garelli out and rehab it. I still have my helmet, too.

The two-lane black tops around here are way too busy, but I see riders every weekend along the deserted 4-lane stretch I road test the Bird on.

Hmm...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Stage 15 from Tallard to Niemes has been awesome so far.

Great scenery on the HD TV and two guys blowing the rest of the field away.

·
Super Moderator
11,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This year's been hell on the field. None of the original race favorites are left.

Yea, it's been fun to watch. the sweeping vistas from the helicopters are just incredible!

Rest day today and back on the road again tomorrow...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Jack Bauer almost won a TDF stage.

I had visions of <I>24</I> in my head.

One of those two guys would have won if they had been teammates instead of racing each other at the end.

Bauer took too many wide sweeps looking behind him in the last 10 meters. He should have just picked a line and stuck to it.

He would have also won if the roundabouts had not dried out. I think that motivated the others in the Peloton to push themselves at the end once they saw it wasn't so treacherous.

It almost looked like a restrictor plate race at the end.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts