TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a slight coolant leak for probably a couple months now, and I haven't been able to figure out where from. I've only had to add a few cups of water about once every week or two, so it's very slight. I had a shop pressure test the cooling system real fast and said it looks like it's coming from the timing chain cover from behind the water pump. The shop said it'd take 8+ hours and around $650 for them to do the work, including the gaskets & timing chain. Has anyone had any issues like this before? Should I do the timing chain as well? Degree of difficulty in doing the work myself? Worst case scenario if this escalates and are there any signs of said screnarios? I've got about 89k on the engine. TIA for any help!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
8+ hours, find a different shop!!!1 I could do it in 3hours tops.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
coolant should not come out of the timing cover, and if a shop actually believe the timing chain cover retains coolant then they are completely retarded. It is very possible, however, that the water pump gasket is leaking, which takes me just a few hours at the most. Even when I broke a bolt off in the cover it took me 2 hours.
-Thomas

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of doing the work myself, so I wanted to get a feel for it, hopefully more people can post their experiences. I kinda wondered what the guy was smoking when he told me about water leaking where oil is... Anywho, I'm gonna get a second opinion, just need to find the $ to have a more thorough inspection done. The water was pooled up on the passenger side of the timing chain cover, so it could also be the water pump, which would make a LOT more sense. I'll post a pic tomorrow of the area where I saw the coolant pooled up

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the pics I took showing the general area of the leak. I found coolant on the cross bar of the frame, down at the bottom. I kinda traced the leak back up to a little pool in the general area of the red circle in the second pic. I can't remember for SURE if that's where it was

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
That is where mine was pooling antifreeze from one of the hoses. I am sure it was the short dogleg looking one, I think it is the bypass hose.

I thought mine was leaking from the waterpump gasket. I Took off the PS pump and bracket, and found the bolts and studs/nuts not really all that tight. I removed them, and replaced them (using antisieze on the one into aluminum, rtv on the one that goes into the passage, and medium thread locker on the nut on the stud). That solved the small leak I had. I put in some Prestone block sealer. It didn't seal it, but it gave the line something to spew out that stuck and didn't puddle on the timing cover/waterpump.

The hose was leaking out of the hole from where the hoseclamp was riveted to the hose. The replacement I got was a more generic trim to fit with molded bends similar to the factory original replacement that was on there. I also replaced the heater hose that goes to the hard line. I replaced it originally with another crimped rubber/metal/rubber hose, but this time cut off the crimps and use hose clamps and only replaced the rubber.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Bangster, I'll keep that in mind and take a look at it. Still gotta get my bird in for a pressure test. I get paid tuesday so hopefully I'll have the $ to locate it

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Falcon5783

Check the vent plug - you may not be able to see the leak from underneath the yellow plastic notice thing. I had a small leak there and coolant pooled at the same location as yours. I put some thread sealant on the very top of the vent plug, above the hole in the bolt, and she's good as new.

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found water dripping from this thing today... I've no idea what it is, anybody know?

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
thats your A/C, its supposed to drip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts