TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 89 mercury cougar xr7 and my abs module is leaking. I can not find any refurbished abs modules, does anyone know how to or have done a conventional conversion?

·
Super Moderator
5,417 Posts
There is a long thread, started back in 2005, on this over on SCCoA - Switching ABS to Conventional. (sccoa.com)

I have the part numbers I used posted there; but basically, using the proper Baseline TBird master cylinder (or Cougar if you want to be snooty), you can replumb three lines easily, put a bleeder in the fourth port on the master cylinder, and Bob's Yer Unkle converting back to conventional.

There's also folks who can rebuild them; the guy in Dallas TX (forget his name offhand) takes the old one and rebuilds them then returns it to you.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,545 Posts
Its a pretty common conversion, I’ve done it to friends SCs. You need to use the booster from a base model 89-92 Tbird and there are a few options for the master cylinder - the best one IMO is a 4 port without proportioning valves for a 92 tbird, you can just rebend the existing lines in place and the fittings thread right in, just block off the fourth port with a bleeder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts