TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I leak about 1/4 of a quart of transmission fluid a night. I know that none of you can help me 'locate the leak' because you'd have to see it, but it looks like it's coming from the transmission pan.

Could this have anything to do with the catalytic converter being way too close to the transmission pan, and possibly burning out the gasket?

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
nidex said:
Could this have anything to do with the catalytic converter being way too close to the transmission pan, and possibly burning out the gasket?
highly unlikely. sounds like the pan bolts are loose. if the gasket is damaged, i would replace it. and while you are under there, why not do the jmod and throw in some mercon v?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Finding the source of the leak can be tricky, since fluid tends to run along the edge of the pan. On my '96 I had a fairly small leak where the fill tube goes into the transmission and a larger leak from the tailshaft housing gasket. No one has ever touched the tail shaft bolts on this car, and yet the housing bolts were loose. Replacing the fill tube O-ring and the tailshaft housing gasket stopped all of the leaks. Both of these leaks were causing drips from the pan.

Marcus

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's coming out of the corner of the pan, above the gasket. The last jackass that put the pan on used the impact, I can't get it off at all. If I can get the pan off, I can fix the problem.

For now I just slapped a little RTV on there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts