TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
Id love some input on this issue.
My 97 with 4.6 was leaking coolant from the rear intake manifold gaskets when i bought the car. I removed the intake and installed new gaskets a few months back. Now its leaking again and it definitly seems like its leaking from the same place(evidence of coolant residue). The intake is the all plastic ford unit, though upon last inspection i did not find any noticable cracks.
Could the gaskets have gone bad in 3 months? Or could the intake be warped in a way that isnt allowing a proper seal on teh gaskets? Possibly a warped head?
If anyone has some insight on this issue, or had similar issues please chime in.
Thanks everyone!:D

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure its Not leaking from the heater hose fitting. I can clearly see coolant residue and seepage around the gasket surface between the head and the intake on the drivers rear portion of the intake. Its losing enough fluid to drain the coolant tank, and leave puddles in the valley of the engine block.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Check the heater hose good. Mine had a small split in it and I thought it was coming from the outlet. Other than that, if you cleaned the mounting surfaces good (I had to wet sand the manifold surface with 400 grit to get it smooth) and torqued the manifold using the torque sequence chart maybe the manifold is warped as you suggest since it has leaked twice. I haven't heard of the gaskets going bad. You might try the bolts near the outlet to see if they are still torqued down. If it is warped it might be time for an aluminum crossover manifold.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
actually when i did the gaskets previously they were really bad. They cracked in 3 places and alot of the rubber for the seal had worn away. I think that I'm gonna get a new manifold and see how that goes.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My intake cracked at the heater hose connection. It's a weak link. Sounds like a good time to go PI.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My intake cracked at the heater hose connection. It's a weak link. Sounds like a good time to go PI.
I dont think a PI swap is in the budget, I'll probably have to settle for a newer intake with the aluminum crossover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts