TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something odd-- this has been the case for as long as I have owned my car...

My coolant reservoir does not hold coolant. I have no leaks in my cooling system (new radiator, hoses, etc.) and the coolant level in the radiator itself stays constant. Could my resevoir have a leak in it? Could it be that since it's a snap-cap as a lid instead of a screw-type cap that I am loosing coolant due to evaporation? Has anyone else had this problem?

PJ

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,785 Posts
I've noticed on occasions a little coolant around the reservoir cap, nothing substantial but it's noticable. I've had this car for over 4 years now and have had to add a little coolant a few times.

Joe

·
Registered
467 Posts
i dunno where it goes...ives checked and checked...i guess it does evaporate since it is in a snap cap cantainer....mine has been like that forever.....good thing it's only for back up...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm gonna look into a new catch can for our radiators-- and I will look into a "low coolant" light while I am at it. This snap cap thing does not do the trick.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
the "low coolant" light pisses me off also It doesn't like my extended life (red color) coolant, the light comes on after about 10 minutes of driving, never did that with the cheap green coolant.

·
Registered
443 Posts
my radiator leaks in the winter...i'm always filling up my overflow tank...that damn "low coolant" anoys the crap out of me...time for all aluminum radiator when winter rolls around again...

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have read, and seen first hand that the red coolent is corrosive and destroys radiators and water pumps. I will email you a picture of a water pump that had used the red stuff its entire life, and it was properly changed.
I would recomed swiching to the green coolent.
Jim

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
the red stuff I use is CATERPILLAR :) I get it from work for "free" and its pre mixed 50/50 If its good enough for CAT its plenty good for me. The IMPORTANT thing they don't tell you is that you STILL need to check the condition of the antifreeze every year and add conditioner if needed as ALL coolants become acid like over time, It doesn't matter what color it is (people never have there RED extended life checked and it turns to an acid when they could have added a 8 oz bottle of coolant conditioner to "correct" it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Not to worry about coolant reservoir...

Since i got my car 2 1/2 years ago, i always had to add coolant, every month. I have checked all over for leaks, and checked gastket and oil, water pumps, radiators hoses. I found nothing....The thing is when it gets low, it always goes to the low level, and it will never get lower than that.

What i have found is that when i added fluid afew times my car would spit it out. I've learned that the coolant level does not have to be at the cold or hot line to keep your car running cool. It keeps spitting it out. it does not want that much. I have ran the car with low fluid in the reservoir for a long time before, and the cars temp never changed and neither did the fluid level. The radiator was always full at llt times. I have looked into this for a long time. and this has been the only logical and seemingly correct answer.

It's normal, it's not just a coincidence that ever 3.8 does this.
This is not fact, but other people and mechanics have tried to see if there were any leaks, and nobody ever found anything.

BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
940 Posts
Wow, so I'm not the only one who's losing coolant without a problem. On the other hand my 1996 4.6l hasn't lost any coolant in a year. So do you guys think that radiator swap and the resorvoir swap from the 96-97 4.6's is a smart idea (radiator is sealed, the only filler cap is the one on resorvoir which is not one of those cheesy snap on deals)

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
my overflow is always empty, but the radiator is always full on my 3.8. It has no visable leaks and a total engine rebuild was done 30,000 ago. but it did it before and after that. I thought i might have a very slow leak inside the heater box that never leaks out, but i'm not pulling it out just to look for the fun of it. the heat core and the A/C compressor are the nly things that i haven't replaced on that engine since i got it. Neww radiator and all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts