1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
your coolant reservoir cap is designed to "pop" at around 16psi.....it takes more than 16psi to crack aluminum...no, I highly doubt the cooling system in and of itself has caused your coolant crossover to crack.

I say either you did not torque down the bolts correctly, or your gaskets are faulty....what kind of gaskets did you use?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not sure what kind of gasket was used. I will recheck and see if those bolts were torqued down properly, if they were ill order in a new o ring, t stat and go from there. I was thinking of swapping over to the PI Intake when i saw this, I thought my crossover busted or something, lol. Im having a hard time trying to find one though.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Judging from the pictures, it looks like you have a PI intake on that engine because I see the screw holes for the COPs (a 96 NPI intake doesn't have those). It's easy to verify it IS a PI intake; does the first air runner in the front go to the driver's side (PI) or the passenger side (NPI)? So, did you swap intakes or was it like that when you got it? It's prolly leaking around the water passage holes which are supposed to be well siliconed when you put the PI gaskets on.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
if it was your stat O-ring, it would be leaking from that junction, which would have green coolant leaking down the aluminum Tstat housing. I hope you're not thinking that's the problem. It seems to be either where the Tstat housing meets the plastic flange of the intake, or between the intake and the heads, which would indicate gasket failure

actually, not that I look at it better, it looks like its leaking between the Tstat housing on the intake, and the plastic flange underneath it, not between the intake manifold and the heads.....so it may not be the gaskets....if it was, there would likely be coolant on the aluminum all around that #5 spark plug well

also, I've seen reptiles with smoother skin than your upper radiator hose.....replace it....like now :tongue:

·
It is nice
885 Posts
You can see coolant where the hose meets the thermostat housing so it's prob one of those that is leaking and draining down onto everything.

Ahh more I look at it who knows hard to tell lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi NetKeym, I bought the car like that. I dont think there was a PI Intake installed. the guy that use to drive the car was a dinosaur. He probably personally knew the T-Rex. But now your making me think, I will check what side the air runners go to

GM, You inspired me to look underneath the rad hose. low and behold, Its the upper rad hose!. I think you hurt its feelings with that comment. lol thats the highest spot theres traces of coolant i can see. i didnt get a good pic of that because of the angle but i used a little piece of mirror i had and it seems to be coming from the upper rad hose, its dripping down the side of the t stat housing and down onto the plastic part. its then just collecting there, It doesnt go in my spark plug hole because the boot is tight against there. I got the T stat hose on order. i have a spare one from my 97 cougar but im going to just put a new one in there.

Thanks Guys!

P.S. Where can i get a PI INTAKEEEEEEEEE!?!?! lol it looks like a fun mod to do if i don't already have one, i highly doubt there was one installed on it before though. Ive learned enough from the teardown i did on my 97 cougar. stripped the engine down to its block.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
yea i saw coolant from ur pics under the rad hose; and looks darker on the metal under it. those clamps aren't the greatest, plus your hose is probly old. you should put a new screw on clamp on each side of the new hose. good luck

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think im going to purchase it brand new. better to be safe than sorry right? im from Toronto Ontario, i hope the ford dealerships here dont rape me on their pricing. lol. I saw a few of them on ebay but it doesn't state if its a Ford Racing one or those crappy dorman ones.

Ya, i remember on my 1993 cougar it had the screw clamps instead of the pinch kind. Thanks for the info, ill definitely switch over to that type when i get my new hose.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Looks like the crossover to manifold gasket is going bad or the junction is loose, I'd remove the intake and the crossover from the intake and rtv the gasket.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
GM, good eye on that radiator hose! :thumbsup: Do the new updated NPI intakes have COP provisions? I didn't know that. Shadow21, glad you got it figured out. So what side does the front air runner go to (post #4)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts