TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a 94 mark viii engine for a swap. it came with the transmission. when i moved them around on a pallet, transmission fluid would leak out of the back of the transmission at the spline where the driveshaft should go.

it only leaks when i point the rear of the transmission downward at an angle.

is this normal? i'm guessing no. what seal do i replace and can i get to it from the outside or does the transmission need to be taken apart?

bob

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
that's normal. When the driveshaft yoke slides in there it seals all the fluid inside.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
So what that means is that when I remove the driveshaft from my car I can expect a Mercon V shower? Does it seal in a lot of fluid, or a little fluid? Is there a way to remove the driveshaft, without drainging the transmission, without leaking fluid all over the place?

·
Registered
37 Posts
An easy way to not have your fluid shower is to raise the back of the car up higher than the front of the car when you take the driveshaft out. You might still get a little bit of fluid coming out, but at last most of it will stay in the transmission.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
Actually, as long as you don't have the front of the car much higher than the rear, you shouldn't have any fluid drain out when you pull the driveshaft.

You have to have the trans at a pretty decent angle for it to dump fluid out of the tailshaft.

-Rod

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Whew!! Thats good news! Now if only they had made my true duals easier to remove........... (I'll get this done sooner or later!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts