TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the LED part of the tail light goes out, does the whole thing need to be replaced or is there a "bulb" or something that can be replaced without buying an entire new LED/Reflector piece.

Wasn't completely sure - checking both for me and my friend's mom.. She's got a 93 LX. Thanks

-Andy "Melon"

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Melon said:
If the LED part of the tail light goes out, does the whole thing need to be replaced or is there a "bulb" or something that can be replaced without buying an entire new LED/Reflector piece.

Wasn't completely sure - checking both for me and my friend's mom.. She's got a 93 LX. Thanks

-Andy "Melon"
Ask Rolling Thunder for specifics (there is a tech article on it) and GreenBird is working on replacements.

Either replace the entire unit, or find a junked unit that works and cut open the panel remove the PCB and go...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Melon said:

-Andy "Melon"
there are 20 LEDs in 4 strings of five. It seems the problem is the board shorting out, not the LEDs or resistors themselves. You can only replace the entire unit, which is big $$$ from ford. And good luck finding a working replacement at a junkyard. Read RT's article. Take the board out and clean it...hopefully that will do it. If not....:(

[shameless plug]
I think I may be able to make a senior project out of this (be done in may...maybe abit sooner) so bear with me....I will re-design the board to work WITH the corner lights (use same power source) and be tuneable so they are the same brightness, both at the "ON" and "Braking" voltages. Add in "flip of a switch" control to make them alternating blinkers, and possibly even a function to make them light like the front bar on "KITT" from knight rider (or any other design you wish)!
[/shameless plug]

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Re: Re: LED Question

GreenBird said:
[shameless plug]
I think I may be able to make a senior project out of this (be done in may...maybe abit sooner) so bear with me....I will re-design the board to work WITH the corner lights (use same power source) and be tuneable so they are the same brightness, both at the "ON" and "Braking" voltages. Add in "flip of a switch" control to make them alternating blinkers, and possibly even a function to make them light like the front bar on "KITT" from knight rider (or any other design you wish)!
[/shameless plug]
If you can bring true sequential back to the Thunderbirds you will be da man.

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Individual LED's and resistors of the Tail light assembly can be replaced, but good luck finding an off-the shelf LED. The ones in our cars were special made by Hewlet-Packard. You would still have to cut open the tail lense housing to get at the LED/Reflector unit.

As mentioned above, and from my own experience, your choices are:

1. Buy a NOS unit from Ford.

2. Buy a complete working unit from a donor car, and swap the whole thing.

3. Buy a cosmetically challenged unit, and swap out the parts.

If you need more specific info about doing the swap, send me an e-mail.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sequentials!!!

Oh boy!

GreenBird, if you build it, they will come.

Put me on your list of folks to contact if you're successful!

Meanwhile, I'll be working on my brother-in-law (who breathes electronics) to see if I can get him interested in modifying one of Classic Auto Designs Mustang sequential signal kits.

Does the MN-12 cry out for taillight mods, or what?

Dreaming of the day when I hit the sequential hazard lights,

·
Registered
51 Posts
E-bay

Check on E-bay....some people have them occasionally. I got both center taillamps for $80 off someone. There's a '94 that's currently being parted out on E-bay..check it out.........

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Then I think someone should pick up where Ford left off. I'd love this sequential setup.

Imagine removing the stock turn signal thing. So the ourside lights are just your brake lights. And the LED panels are your new turn signals. But have every 5th or 10th LED be on at the same time so they're like chasers. Think that would look good?

·
Registered
50 Posts
hello all,
go to technical articles section of the forum. it tell you how to make your signal light into alternating light. I did awhile back, but only work when the park light are turn on and also the hazard light are alternating too. Just want to share some info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts