TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
leet sauce
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi thanks for help beforehand

Here is a story. My gf is 19y/o. Since she was a baby her parents have been putting $ into some sort of savings where government would match a part of $ for university or college.
Currently her mom is kicking her out of the house and also she is devorsed with her dad. I think she is trying to use thouse $ put away either for other 2 children or alse for herself.

We have a certificate which isnt dated but says that this scholarship is for my gf(Rosie) from mom and dad.

What im trying to find out : if her mom refuses to give my gf this scholarship, can we succesfuly sue her?

Im thinking something like: since expectations by parents were sat Rosie never saved up money for college and now that she doesnt have access to scholarship her future doesnt look as bright.

any ideas? sugegsions? thx!

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
In does cases I think that your GF cannot touch the money upto she reaches certaing age, I do not know if it varies from state to state, but if the money is at her name and the parents put a limit as to when she can get her hands on that money, then legally the money belongs to your gf and you could do something legally if the money ends up beeing spent or taken by her mom. I suggest you go get a lawyer and try to get all of the paper work so he(the lawyer) could see what's up

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
You need to find out more information than just "some sort of savings". You need to at least get the name of the fund, and probably the name of the institution which set it up. Once you get that information, you can look up the specific rules / laws that apply to what you're working with.

·
8,239 Posts
If its a trust, she can't touch it until a certain age of majority.

Also, if its in the persons name who made the contribution, its their money not yours.

·
leet sauce
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it has her name on it. (on a cartificate she has at least)
She can use it between the age of 19 and 25. I dont think she will ever get the money in her hand but a bill for government instad.
I cant find out any more info as her mom is the only source.

Im just wondering if i have enough evidence for this law suit to begin, if needed, or not as lawyers charge alot of $.
and also im trying to look weather or not I can charge all laywer expenses to her mom, if she would lose this case, as well making her settle before any of this even starts.
thanks!

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
If here parents are divorced I would think a scholarship fund that didn't reach the age of disbursment (or whatever you call it) would be part of the divorce settlement? Is this something her mother did on her own or was it done as a married couple who paid into it all those years?

OK so moms being a c**t. Can't you GF just call her father up and ask him for the particulars of the fund they set up for her? I would think he would know who it's with or what type of fund it is at least??? Or is he the completely clueless type about such things?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I see. I was under the impression they got divorced more recently. Well if she's interested in talking to her father again it's worth a shot anyway. The old man might be able to recall something useful... at worst nothing comes of it and they remain on non talking terms. Maybe he doesn't recall crap but they start talking again or something. You never know.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
i have a suggestion

everyone here looks like they graduated high school (based on age)

can we use a ****ing spell checker please? i can't understand most of the gibberish

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
lol excuse me I left an "E" out of disbursement. I've got a GED from the effin Philly school district. (In others words I was one of the smart ones that just bailed out of that ****ty school district and went for the brass ring.) Just deal with it and be glad I can spell anything at all! ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Fund

My opinion is that you have no options--period. Quit screwing around (really not flaming you, just getting across the importance) and get to a lawyer ASAP--. Most lawyers will do a free consultation, so do it! Dont know for sure, certainly am not a lawyer, but I am quite sure that there are rather serious consequences, (taxes?) for screwing with these funds. Someone could be in trouble---.

You are not going to get the kind of advice you need here----not that there arent some smart folks, but you need precise information. That is if it is really important to you. Lots O Luck :)

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
yardbird said:
....You are not going to get the kind of advice you need here----not that there arent some smart folks, but you need precise information. That is if it is really important to you. Lots O Luck :)
And that is the best advice I've read on here so far (with the exception of the spellchecker idea. ;):D ).

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yes, I know, I'm 18 and don't have nearly as much experience as you guys...but I have taken quite a few classes concerning legal matters.
One class I am taking right now is "Personal Business Law" concerning all types of contracts, loans, etc.
Where was the money deposited? Into an account or a U.S. Trust-Fund account?
A friend of mine received $100,000 when he was 12 years old, and his father placed it into an account where every year after he is 18, he will receive $10,000- his father was never able to touch it.
You need to find out where the money is. Obviously, if you know which bank it is, CALL THEM UP.
If it's in a U.S. Trust Fund, do some researching online and figure out what institution they dealt with.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
Southpaw said:
lol excuse me I left an "E" out of disbursement. I've got a GED from the effin Philly school district. (In others words I was one of the smart ones that just bailed out of that ****ty school district and went for the brass ring.) Just deal with it and be glad I can spell anything at all! ;)
LOL

i forgot the 2nd line.. except southpaw.. i thought i put it in there

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Heres what I can tell you without the specifics. Since shes at the age when she has access to it, she can go to the bank and get the information on the acct.

But, if the money was taken out before she reached the age that she can access it then there may be nothing that can be done. I know with some of these arrangements the person contributing to the acct has full access to the funds and can deposit or withdraw as they please, but once the benfactor reaches the specified age no-one but them has any legal right to the money and the bank cant let anyone but them access the acct.

But, it all depends on the terms of the specific account. Get all the information you can. Your g/f should be able to get the account information since it is now legally hers. Unless the account is already closed. Good luck man, these things tend to involve alot of BS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts