TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i keep the cats to y pipe then put strait pipe where the mufflers are suppose to be, but put resonating tips on it....is it legal, and will it sound good?

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
cats and no mufflers = loud, dont know if it will sound good. go with flowmaster or dynomax if you want good sound. as for the legality issue, ask a police officer about it.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Here's my '83 5.0 with cats and no mufflers, pipe ends directly after the cats:

http://jkeady.serveftp.com/tbird50.wav

It is very very loud, probably would get you pulled over in a big city. I live out in the sticks where no one has an exhaust anyway so it's acceptable. But even so, it sets off car alarms everywhere, and before it gets sold this Spring I'm putting an exhaust on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what about if i kept the single exhaust i have and just put a flowmaster 40 series in, would it sound ok? i've only got $500 and most of that is gonna be spent fixing my front end some kid smashed up. by the way, anyone got a header panel from either a regular or turbocoupe 87-88 tbird?

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
outlaw69096 said:
what about if i kept the single exhaust i have and just put a flowmaster 40 series in, would it sound ok? i've only got $500 and most of that is gonna be spent fixing my front end some kid smashed up. by the way, anyone got a header panel from either a regular or turbocoupe 87-88 tbird?
well if i had a 5.0, i would put a flow 40 series in the middle of the car in place of the resonator and run duals out the back with tips. or you could run true duals with two flow 40s at the rear. for pipe sizes, maybe one of these v8 guys will chime in with an answer.

check www.car-part.com for the header panel

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
You asked if it is legal.

Any alteration of your stock factory exhaust is in violation of Federal Law. If an exhaust component wears out, breaks or is damaged, it must be replaced with the OEM part, or it's equivalant, in order to be in strict compliance with Federal Statute.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts