TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm on my way home last night and I come up to a red light, so I stop. I look in my rear view mirror a few seconds later and who do I see...state cop with his lights on. I am kind of getting used to this considering I have 5 all the way around, but "I get migraines in bright sunlight" (hint...I have a permit for the tint) so I never once got a ticket from tint (well before I got the permit, but that doesn't count). And part of my exhaust fell of a couple of weeks ago. All my exhaust is a magnaflow replacing my resonator and the rest fell off right after that. Its not that loud, well inside it can bother me. I was about to ask him to see how many db's i'm pushing because I know that it is not pass the legal limit. Anyways...so I get pulled over and he starts giving me attitude about whether or not the tint bothers me..blah...blah..blah. I tell him that I have a permit on it and he has to verify my restrictions on my record. He doesn't seem to like that so he brings up my so called "loud" exhaust..blah..blah..blah. He goes to my car and comes back with a ticket for my tint and my exhaust. For one thing my exhaust is not illegal, and neither is my tint because of my freakin permit. I can see him being an a$$ about my exhaust, but I have a damn permit for my tint. How in the hell can he give me a ticket for my tint??? That is like giving a handycap parking ticket to a handycap person with a permit to do so.

-Brian

·
Geek w/Gearhead Complex
2,299 Posts
what you need to do is take pictures of your exhaust, FIXED, with a date on them and take it into the judge when you have your hearing, same with your tint (take the permit).

Explain, very respectfully that you were in the process of fixing your exhaust and did not have your permit on you / didn't have it yet, therefore the officer was doing his thing in not believing you (I'm sure they hear that line every single day "its in my other pants"). As long as you can provide those, you should be fine.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Why can he give you a ticket? It's pretty simple, he's a police officer thats why. Take all relevent documents to the court and show them to the judge. he should drop the tickets.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, but I forgot something. My permit is in my driving record. Secretary of State sent me a new licence. It was exatly the same as my first one, but it said "verify restrictions on record" under my restrictions. So if they bring up my record it will say right there that I can have tint legaly. So he knew it and he had the evidence right infront of his face. He just wanted to be a PITA, which he hit right on the nose. And I did tell him that I was going to fix it once I got the money and the time, considering I am camping tonight through Monday. So he gave me 20 days to get my exhaust fixed. But I asked him about the tint and he said that it is a straight up ticket. Here in Michigan the tint is a fix-it ticket. So I think he doesn't know s*** about anything. But that is my opinion and everyone is entitle to their own. Thanks for your responses.

-Brian

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
So when you go to court, make a big deal about it. If it's legal, what is the judge going to do, "Eh, we'd rather take your money"?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I'm sorry. I know a lot of cops have good days and bad days. Most can be d***'s and some can be cool. I don't think that regular ol police really get the training they need. State police do. Then again: I think that they should be out there getting the real criminals and leave little things like this alone. Aren't we under a severe terrorist alert? What does tint and exhaust have to do with that?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I don't know about Michigan, but I know Texas would put a black mark on his record for failure to check the restrictions and writing the ticket anyways.

In other news, I'm 19, going on 20. I know from my experience that generally if you treat the cop like he's God, you stand a much better chance on getting away without a ticket. I just save my smartass comments until he actually writes me a ticket for something I know I'm in the right.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
bad93bird said:
I think that they should be out there getting the real criminals and leave little things like this alone. Aren't we under a severe terrorist alert? What does tint and exhaust have to do with that?
Sorry, dont mean to hijack. But I really hate it when people say that. I mean I really hate it. What is a "real" criminal anyway? I agree, it sounds like this guy got a bum deal, but what if he was a terrorist, or a murderer or rapist? And this cop nailed him on a routine traffic stop? If that were the case we'd all be laughing at the news article in the misc forum.

You say shouldnt they be dealing with real criminals? I say they might be able to if they didnt have to deal with our silly ***** speeding and doing donuts in parking lots.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Fermium said:
Don't know what you're trying to pull here. But Mi. dosen't have such a "permit" for tint.
Maybe you need to research a bit more before making bold comments. You can legally tint your passenger and driver side windows with a note from your eye doctor. You must be the only person who operates the vehicle though and unless you have a real bad history of surgeries and chronic photophobia it's generally hard to convince an eye doctor to write you one.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Derek said:

Maybe you need to research a bit more before making bold comments. You can legally tint your passenger and driver side windows with a note from your eye doctor. You must be the only person who operates the vehicle though and unless you have a real bad history of surgeries and chronic photophobia it's generally hard to convince an eye doctor to write you one.
Thank you. You just saved me a breath.

I just got home from vacation and I am going to give them a call in a couple of hours when I get a chance. But the cop was a real PITA. He was being a smart a** about why I didn't have my whole windshield tinted and how he did not agree with me nor any one who had to do anything with my permit.

And what about my exhaust. Is he supposed to actually see how many db's my exhaust is putting out? Or does he close his eyes and listen for a sec to see if my exhaust is legal or not according to his ear? I can see if it was so intense that you could hardly hear yourself think, but it only has a good little rumble and thats it.

-Brian

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
]
Sorry, dont mean to hijack. But I really hate it when people say that. I mean I really hate it. What is a "real" criminal anyway? I agree, it sounds like this guy got a bum deal, but what if he was a terrorist, or a murderer or rapist? And this cop nailed him on a routine traffic stop? If that were the case we'd all be laughing at the news article in the misc forum.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts

Yes but law enforcement officials are people too. They aren't above the law. Most are below. They act like this is a police state anyway. If you really think about it, we aren't innocent until proven guilty, we are guilty until proven innocent. I'll give one the respect he deserves if he deserves it. I would rather give my respect to the people protecting our country and the fire fighters of our country than a police officer. Most are cool where I live. Down the road about 20 miles is H-town. They aren't worth a F*** there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts