TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me how a "legal", cat-back dual exhaust sounds? In other words, does it still have the low, burbly sound of a V8 (like say, a Mustang GT), or since it's still technically restricted into a single pipe at the cat. converter does it end up sounding more like a V6, or something?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
As long as you still have all your cats you're "legal" but you should be able to get a close sound.

Depends on strick emissions are.

I've always wondered if you can pass emissions with only 2 cats.

If you have 2 or 3 high-flow cats with a custom exhaust I would think you could pass emissions.

·
Registered
238 Posts
not true In california if you can cut only after the cats. That includes the 3rd one. So you are outta luck with the duals.

·
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter
850 Posts
Take a look at a mustang exhaust. Take a look at yours. It won't be hard at all to achieve :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
The rest of the country is going to have to comply in 2006?

·
Registered
159 Posts
That sucks!!:mad: I haven't had my exhaust tested yet(Art true dual S/S w/ high flow cats). Mine doesn't get tested till next year then I'll find out if I'm going to pass. I really hope so. I hate to have to put my old system back on.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
guitar maestro said:
nothin a quick $20 bribe won't fix :D
of even just a 6-pack of brew...

In Cali, everything has to match original part numbers, so you can't even replace the cats with hi-flow ones (legally) unless the part has a CARB number.

I think it's BS...the 4.6L mn12 qualifies as a "low emissions vehicle". you see those stickers of every 1.6L honda...:leftright

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm in Arizona, our emmision laws are similar ,except we don't have the visual. I was wondering about loosing the "third" cat. Does anyone know if it would pass? If not what are the "Cat Back" alternitives?:tongue:

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you cut out the 3rd cat in California you will fail the sniff test.

·
Registered
513 Posts
any exhaust that is louder than stock is illegal, cops maynot say much if it isnt really loud, but that is what i have been told by a cop that i asked about it

·
Registered
238 Posts
I know that is not true!

There are sound restrictions but they are rarely enforced

·
Registered
513 Posts
it is, at least in kentucky, i was talkin with a cop about whats legal and illegal, and one thing i brought up was exhaust, and he said that anything that is louder than stock is actually illegal, they dont bother with it unless it is obnoxious, but that is the law here and most likely othe places, cuz we dont have any sniff test or anything like that so kentucky must not be to bad with the exhaust laws

·
Registered
10 Posts
Although not legal in Calif, I'm sure the Crown Vic dual cat setup will pass emissions. This consists of 4 cats used on the crown vics that have dual exhaust (the models with handling package and police interceptor models). As long as the emissions guy doesn't look for the difference, you would be home free.
Leroy

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Warlockguitarman said:
it is, at least in kentucky, i was talkin with a cop about whats legal and illegal, and one thing i brought up was exhaust, and he said that anything that is louder than stock is actually illegal, they dont bother with it unless it is obnoxious, but that is the law here and most likely othe places, cuz we dont have any sniff test or anything like that so kentucky must not be to bad with the exhaust laws
Holy crap you live in KY dude??? I do too!

I don't actually live too far from Owensborough.. Or however you spell it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts