TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car started to run really bad on my way to work the other day. I decided to look at the plug and wires when I got off and noticed a bad boot on one of the wires. I bought a set of cheaper wires (replaced the plugs a few weeks ago) due to my budget. I compared all the wires and did not realize until I got to the 2nd half of the engine that I had messed up. I must have put the wrong length wires in the wrong places. I rushed it. It only took me 15 minutes to do this, had to be somewhere.

I was wondering what is the length for each wire from the coil pack to the cyl. I will fix this as soon as I get a response.

p.s. why does our wires go under the alt. while all other 4.6's go over it. Kinda adds a new level of difficulty to this process.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't have the lengths, but I do have an old set of wires in my trunk I can measure(unless someone else can get them first)
As to the over/under- just route the new ones over. They'll be fine.

Peter M.

·
Registered
331 Posts
What I did is took all of the old wires off and paired them up with their new counterpart. The bad side of this is you have to have a book on the car (or experience) to know which connection on the coil pack each wire goes to. If the old wires are numbered (mine were), then just take them all off, pair them up, and put them back on. I know I saw on here a picture of the coil packs and which wire goes on which connection. This thread has the picture of the coil packs you need.

As for why they run under the Alt., I don't know but tonight, I am going to get some wire clips and just run the wires over the alt (like Peter M's pic). I have been fighting a misfire too (changed the plugs and wires in March/April, changed the plugs again and straightened the wires under the alt. two weeks ago) but I think I still have a crossed wire or a bad coil pack.

·
Registered
522 Posts
For the really cheap way you can go to your local parts store that has a set numbered and purchase them take them home and compare them and then return them stating that you bought the incorrect set or something.

Now, I dont condone this or support it, but as a last resort it could work.

If I get home in time tonight I will measure mine and post it. Using FRPP wires.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't need the lengths specificly. All I really need to know is the longest to the shortest. The lengths range from 27in. to 57. and no two are the same length. None of the wires we sell, not even the motorcraft ones are numbered and no repair manual says anything about wires. I have the diagram to say which spot on which coil goes where.

ps. I did not go at this blind. I was rushed by a female. I held the old one up to each new one, but some how messed up.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I could afford them I would. I just moved and am totally broke. Does anybody have these and could tell me. The car is running fine, but just knowing the wires are wrong bothers the hell out of me. I work at an auto parts store. A 20% discount is nice to have.

·
Registered
522 Posts
PM 4cambird.....he has a pic of his in his sig and it has he blue FRPP wires with it. Might be able to get what you need from there. Otherwise I will try to remember to get it tonight when installing new intake tube.

·
Registered
522 Posts
NP, glad to help, but I am betting that there are only really 2 wires that you can mix up that will still fit correctly and look correct. Worse case have to remember to pull them off and measure them tonight and send you the info, since nobody else seems to be too helpful with this which is very surprising to me.

·
Registered
513 Posts
hey man, when did you move, i have noticed that you havent been at work for a while, you plan on comin back anytime soon?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah. I moved about 2 weeks ago to go to school at UK. I will not be moving home until graduation which will be in about 3 years. Although I will have to visit frequently so O'boro will still be a big part of my life.

I will not be able to get around to the wires until tomorrow afternoon or saturday evening. So don't rush these facts too me unless you feel like it. Like I said it is not a real problem but I don't want them arcing in the near future from where I had to loop one twice.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Try this pic. Left to right is 1 to 8. Found my old OEM Factory set and yes they are numbered also. :D

If you need a bigger pic let me know, but thought these would give you the idea you needed.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I like this pic better sorry for the double post, but once again #1 is on the left and #8 the last on the right.

Should give you an idea of the lengths.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts