TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
back a couple weeks ago, I posted about my recent finding of a '95 Thunderbird LX 4.6 with 51386 miles, I wrote about it in Miscellaneous under "Expensive Oil Change".

Well, I went over it pretty well, trans oil looked a little dark, I figured it hadn't been changed. I also checked other fluisds, all seemed OK. Last week, after getting tags, etc sorted out, wife and I took it for it's maiden trip to a nearby city. As I started out of the drive way, something flashed on the gage cluster but I didn't see what it was gone fast. Then for 20+ miles, all was great, except for a slight transmission shudder in 3 and 4 at ight throttle. Then as I was stopping quickly at a light, I saw a flash again, and saw the oil gage going up. This got me to watchind it close, and stopping slowly. I pulled into Auto Zone to get some stuff to change the transmission fluid and filter later and checked the oil.

First car I ever had with a weighted cable for a dipstick. That weight also holds oil mist, it looked wet the firat time or two, then I dried it good, and checked it .... no oil. I opened three quarts and dumped in her sittingf there before she was full, though only 2-1/2 actually got in the motor (wife pointed out to me that Auto Zone had a funnel hanging on the trash can by the door, after I finished oiling the valve/cam cover:D). Then I thought on it hard, and recalled that a phone call had interupted my checking the fluids. I can only assume that the mechanic whom changed it failed to fill it.

I called my buddy whom sold me the car, he was 250 miles away on a long distance wrecker transport. He was sure he too checked it, about as sure as I was. He was not the one who serviced it. Fact is, neither of us could have checked it very well, though I have a habit of pulling a regular dipstick before I start one and they'll show where the oil level is. This weight holds oil I've noticed, it looks wet anytime you pull it after the motor has run recently.

My buddy later said it kapt him awake worried all night after he got home, he is insistant that I let him do a trans oil / engine oil change on him, but that's not fair. He still says he checked it. I think he did, it's that weight that's made of something like a lead alloy that holds oil mist that looks wet even hours after running I think. He'll get over it (the dealership where it was serviced, I'ld let them give me free lifetime oil and filter changes on all my personal vehicles though!). Like I said, good folk. :)

Well, no harm, no leaks, all seems OK, oil pressure never dropped more than a split second. Oil is clean. I sprayed the bottom of the car with 2+2 Gum Cutter (I but it by the case once a year or so as needed) to remove the oil that sprayed back from where I missed the hole when adding oil (that good 1/2 quart or more I poored down the outside). That was Saturday. Today, a week later, all was still dry.

When getting a "new to you car" .... Check the OIL! .... then do it AGAIN! That's the lesson I learned. :D Could have been expensive ... :rolleyes:

Any way, as we drove home after supper, trans shudder was worse. Today, I installed a cooler and flushed & drained the transmission and TC and changed the filter while cleaning the magnet and pan, etc, and with the cooler she took 13 quarts Mercon V to fill up. The cooler is a 6 tube Hayden, after much thought, I ended up removing the battery, loosening the radiator, and using the "through fin" mounting kit supplied, running the hoses around the lower left end of the AC Condenser / Radiator. I just pushed the retainers through the AC Condensor core, not the radiator from the radiator side, using the zip locks and pads to position the cooler in front. I figure the AC Condensor will likely stay in the car, while a radiator may get replaced or removed for work some day.

(One of the zip ties lost it's little spring lock, I used a small aluminum ferrule and rubber tube 1/2" long above the retainer and crimped it on for now, I can cut it off at the rubber tube and put another retainer on some day.)

Put all back together, topped off, took her out for a ride this afternoon, never even hinted at shuddering! Shifts great, smooth acting, it didn't take "miles" like some have said it would in post I searched.

Just thought I'ld write ..... if not sure who did it, check the oil (and drain plug) and Mercon 5 is good stuff! I'm sure the cooler helped.

Good Night ......... :)

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
My roommate has a similar story funny you should mention something like this.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My roommate has a similar story funny you should mention something like this.
Embarassing actually! :D

It did surprise me how fast the gage reacted to it, not like old electric gages I had seen.

I didn't mention it, but to add .... in the midst of all this:rolleyes:, before the Auto Zone stop, before seeing that it was a check gages light that flickered .... I had also stopped at an Advance Auto Parts looking for a trans filter (they were out). I had backed up to that store front and saw that only the high mount brake light was working, no signals, no brake lights. I hadn't needed signals from my drive way to this store. I thought "oh crap!"

Well, spent 20 minutes looking at fuses, looking in the book, seriously thinking of driving it straight home. I even considered pulling the MFS there, but decided against it. Then, I noticed the emergency flasher light was in the "up" position. Pushed it down, viola .... brake / signals work! But then I wondered ... why weren't the flashers working? Bad MFS I guessed then ... or maybe dirty contacts (I must have popped it up earlier to check the brake lights I guess and was so busy checking stuff, guess I never checked them ???? Can't explain it otherwise.). Last night I popped it up and down a few dozen times, wiggled it some, and now the flashers work every time like they are supposed to.

I do need to find me another radio , this one cuts out on one side below half volume. It's stock AM/FM/Cassette. I use XM on a wired modulator. Normally leave the antenna in trunk or rear package shelf, easier to put covers on.

New cars, and especially new used cars, are allways a treat to "get to know". Like people, they carry their own history. We are going to Doumar's in Norfolk (1919 Montecello Av.)today I think, it's the wife's birth day. About 220 miles one way. Be a good "get aquainted" road trip. Doumar brothers invented the Waffle Cone by accident at the 1904 St. Louis Exposition, they took their waffle irons and sold waffles in the vendor's court. An ice creame vendor was near them, and ran out of his cups and one of the Doumar Bros rolled a cone from a waffle, stuck ice cream in it, and the "Waffle Cone" came to be.

Though the brothers are deceased, Doumar's is still family owned. They still make their cones from waffles right in front of you on the exact same waffle irons! They also have good BBQ I hear.

Wish me luck! ;)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update .... drove 476 miles, drove down via I-64, got off at Exit 234 and loaded up with BBQ in a cooler (they put it in containers in plastig bags in cooler and fill with crushed ice) and mucho extra sauce at Pierces, then on to Doumar's ...
... only to find it CLOSED! :(
Well, I walked around, took some photos, listened and heard the sea gulls laughing at me :rolleyes: ...
... Dummy me. Should have read the website closer, they is closed on Sundays. :D

So we come home via Rt 460 through Wakefield, stopped at the "Virginia Diner" .... (also been featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives with Guy Fieri ) .... Oh man ..... it was some GOOD too! Man, that "Carrot Souffle" was ..... you just have to experience it with the cured hame and fried chicken. They also have blackeye peas with stewed tomatoes on top that's "different". Yeah, trip was worth it.
We'll go back to Doumar's some Friday or Saturday night, maybe catch a cruise in? Some Summer night they'll have the waffle irons in the parking lot!

Anyway, car did great! Trans is "cured" as far as I can tell. No leaks anywhere. Ride was good.

And I can hardly believe gas mileage. I'll have to watch it closer, but with a light foot, speeds at the limit and no more, just punched it one time for a couple secs to clear a truck that come over on me, ...
... 293 miles on one fuel stop, 9.47 gallons...
... I can hardle believe it? :cool:
But my '01 Mercury GM averaged near 27 something in 2005 trip out through west Texas and NM. Only 24 something in 2006 trip to California on Rt 66 and the parks and all, but there was a lot of mountain driving that trip.... high mountain driving.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
CrystalPistol,

I put my Hayden in the void under the battery. Same place, but opposite side of the air silencer (long removed). I have the plate type Hayden, and my tranny runs cold.

If I may, I would suggest doing a Mild JMod and keeping in the 1-2 accumulator spring.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CrystalPistol,

I put my Hayden in the void under the battery. Same place, but opposite side of the air silencer (long removed). I have the plate type Hayden, and my tranny runs cold.

If I may, I would suggest doing a Mild JMod and keeping in the 1-2 accumulator spring.
Thanks for the input,
I thought about a mild J-mod this time but was more worried about the shudder. Gonna do a mild one on both later this summer. Yeah, I'll leave a spring in the accumulator. On my old Plymouth police cars like the '78 440 and the '80 and my little '82 "baby" Grand Fury, we used to install Transgo shift kits and toss the 1-2 accumulator spring. I used to put a spacer in there to minimize the volume of fluid. Snappy change, had to be careful if in a hurry in the rain.

My 92 has a void, but the 95 has some of the antilock brake components under the battery. I used a tube type, it was all I could find locally and I wanted to fix it that day. It's the one for larger cars and PUs, 6 tubes, about 15" long where the fins are.

It'll help.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
I ordered my cooler on line at www.bulkpart.com I think the PN was 1714. It's been so long since I did it, like over 5 years and 100,000 miles ago. 150,000 on the tranny and no problems.

I have an ABS system and the plate cooler fit just fine there. I may install braided stainless steel hoses later. I don't like the idea of exposed rubber hose.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered my cooler on line at www.bulkpart.com I think the PN was 1714. It's been so long since I did it, like over 5 years and 100,000 miles ago. 150,000 on the tranny and no problems.

I have an ABS system and the plate cooler fit just fine there. I may install braided stainless steel hoses later. I don't like the idea of exposed rubber hose.
I'll look into it. Thanks again. :)

I did put split tubing on my hoses from in front all the way around the radiater end until clear on the back side to prevent any possible chaffing, I use that special shade of "basic black". I also used two clamps at cooler end as that was all I could fit on each hose, but I used three where attached to trans lines after minimal flareing. I also bend the left over clamping back over the screw head to self limit any loosening. I also very lightly filed sharp ridge left after flaring to a round, with a file with a big magnet attached.

Why use two nails when four will work? :D

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Sounds like crisis averted, enjoy the car!

·
Registered
457 Posts
When my oil was a little low one time I took a hard right turn and the oil light came on for just a flash . . . went off just as fast as it came on . . .drove her home and topped her off. the 94/95 V-8 Birds have a very sensitive oil pressure light, which is a great thing.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a follow up for the future ... looks like she's used a quart of Motorcraft 5w30 in just a hair over 900 miles, and with low miles and some smoke on start ups and after idling as one pulls away from a stop light (wife driving, I followed) .... looks like it's valve seals, normal on 94/95s. May swap heads later, but am gonna try some different oil for now while decide whether to swap heads or replace seals.

Transmission shifts perfectly as far as I can tell, still no shudder near 1000 miles after change out of original fluid with Mercon V, 13 qts total as I installed a cooler also. She had very smelly original stuff in her pan. I pumped out about half into a bucket from hose attached to top radiator fitting, killed engine ASAP when stopped coming out hose. removed pan and drained TC from plug. Wife still remarks how much change just a change in fluid made.

I have some Sport springs now for her, and a set of Sport wheels, 16x7 and some more Goodyear RS-As 225/60-16 will go on them.

Took two tries off Ebay, but now I have a perfect, working, am/fm/cassette with no signs of wear visable. First one off Ebay had a tape stuck in it, deck was not ejecting, but audio was OK. I may take it and my original which had a good deck and bad audio to a friend and let him try to "combine" them if he wants to in his spare time, just as a challenge.

AC is cold too! Everything else is A-OK on it, just likes oil! I'll have to keep an eye on it in the meantime.

I think I'm going to drive this one down to Conyers, Georgia in late May for a visit at BIL's. Might slip by Summitt while there.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you wear a belt and suspenders on your pants, too, to keep them from falling down? J/K!
No, just a belt .... always. ;) At 55, I've always had enough butt to keep them up with just the belt. :cool:

I have seen quite a few that I wish would wear both though ... some of these guys with bigger bellies and no butt ..., yeah, they need suspenders and belts both sometimes ... yet wear neither???? :confused:

The moon shines too often I think (and it ain't always bright ... :( ... I mean there you are walking the aisle of Lowes after supper with your bride beside you and turn the corner into plumbing or electrical and there's a big hairy a55 staring at you as the guy looks for the right elbow or switch ... like UUUUGGGHHH!!! ). :D

Later ........

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Just a follow up for the future ... looks like she's used a quart of Motorcraft 5w30 in just a hair over 900 miles, and with low miles and some smoke on start ups and after idling as one pulls away from a stop light (wife driving, I followed) .... looks like it's valve seals, normal on 94/95s. May swap heads later, but am gonna try some different oil for now while decide whether to swap heads or replace seals.

Transmission shifts perfectly as far as I can tell, still no shudder near 1000 miles after change out of original fluid with Mercon V, 13 qts total as I installed a cooler also. She had very smelly original stuff in her pan. I pumped out about half into a bucket from hose attached to top radiator fitting, killed engine ASAP when stopped coming out hose. removed pan and drained TC from plug. Wife still remarks how much change just a change in fluid made.

I have some Sport springs now for her, and a set of Sport wheels, 16x7 and some more Goodyear RS-As 225/60-16 will go on them.

Took two tries off Ebay, but now I have a perfect, working, am/fm/cassette with no signs of wear visable. First one off Ebay had a tape stuck in it, deck was not ejecting, but audio was OK. I may take it and my original which had a good deck and bad audio to a friend and let him try to "combine" them if he wants to in his spare time, just as a challenge.

AC is cold too! Everything else is A-OK on it, just likes oil! I'll have to keep an eye on it in the meantime.

I think I'm going to drive this one down to Conyers, Georgia in late May for a visit at BIL's. Might slip by Summitt while there.
Probably a good idea to change the trans 1-2 accumulator and spring too. They all eventually fail and scuff the bore. (But they can be broken for many miles before real damage happens)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Probably a good idea to change the trans 1-2 accumulator and spring too. They all eventually fail and scuff the bore. (But they can be broken for many miles before real damage happens)
Yeah ... I believe I'm going to replace both 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator pistons and springs with the new design, and maybe do a mild J-mod.

I also want to do the mild J-mod on the '01 Merc, I don't think it will need asmuch in parts as it's already got some of the updates. Just shifts awfull sluggish or soft ... like it always has. Don't need tires chirping, just want a firmer shift.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts