TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 97 thunderbird and I would like to swap to the 89-93 front end. So does anyone have that for sale or want to trade front ends?

·
Registered
75 Posts
This will be a big job. It's not just the bumper cover, you'll also need the 89-93 headlights, 89-93 header panel, and the 89-93 hood. And once all that is done the side skirts and rear bumper won't match up.

I prefer the earlier styling myself, but man what a job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know that’s the rarest color on 97s, right?
I didn't know that. I just really don't like the 94-97 front ends. So I will be painting the older front end to match so I guess that would make it more rare.

This will be a big job. It's not just the bumper cover, you'll also need the 89-93 headlights, 89-93 header panel, and the 89-93 hood. And once all that is done the side skirts and rear bumper won't match up.

I prefer the earlier styling myself, but man what a job.
Its all bolt on that's not bad at all.

·
Super Moderator
10,939 Posts
That's a lot of bolts, and it will look 4" narrower than the rest of the car.

But it's yours, so go for it!

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,379 Posts
I didn't know that. I just really don't like the 94-97 front ends. So I will be painting the older front end to match so I guess that would make it more rare.

Its all bolt on that's not bad at all.
Well it’s your car, but just hear my plea. Without swapping to a matching rear bumper and pulling off the side cladding, plugging the numerous holes holding them on, the 93 front bumper is going to look mismatched and it’s going to look very obvious with a light color like that. I like the 89-93 front end more than the 96-97 too, but it’s far and wide the lesser of two evils to keep it as delivered as opposed to cobbled looking.

I think your bird looks great as is, great seldom seen color, great choice with the 01 Cobra wheels and all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it’s your car, but just hear my plea. Without swapping to a matching rear bumper and pulling off the side cladding, plugging the numerous holes holding them on, the 93 front bumper is going to look mismatched and it’s going to look very obvious with a light color like that. I like the 89-93 front end more than the 96-97 too, but it’s far and wide the lesser of two evils to keep it as delivered as opposed to cobbled looking.

I think your bird looks great as is, great seldom seen color, great choice with the 01 Cobra wheels and all.
I am planning on removing the cladding too, looks super ugly to me and I dont own the wheels.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I get why you want to do it. I don't care for the bird badge sitting in that little cubby, and I really hate the smaller headlights. The 89-93 headlights have a much more distinctive look. I hope you get it done to your liking, and I look forward to seeing the results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get why you want to do it. I don't care for the bird badge sitting in that little cubby, and I really hate the smaller headlights. The 89-93 headlights have a much more distinctive look. I hope you get it done to your liking, and I look forward to seeing the results.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,379 Posts
I am planning on removing the cladding too, looks super ugly to me and I dont own the wheels.
Alright. Just be sure to add up the dollar amount to accomplish that and weigh it up against just buying a good 93, or even 94/95 and swapping front ends, as those have no holes to fill and have the same interior.

·
Super Moderator
10,939 Posts
Just to be clear, I'm the arsehole of the group.

I think you're considering raping that poor car, and leaving it with an ugly set of scars that will be hard to hide.

It's yours, you can do what you want, but fsck; buying a 93 with good paint would be half as much money.

The welding all the holes closed from the side cladding can be done, but unless you spend $5k-7k on it and the paint, it will look like sh*t compared to the original.

Throwing bondo into those holes will leave it with dimples.

The front and rear bumper skins are going to be an issue to find in good shape, and repainting those will be an additional part of the expense.

You are going to put 2-3x the value of the car into modding it, and you will not recover it; any value in that car is the rare, untouched paint color.

You say the wheels are not yours; if you can't buy the wheels, wtf are you going to mod the car with?

Drywall spackling and spray paint?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright. Just be sure to add up the dollar amount to accomplish that and weigh it up against just buying a good 93, or even 94/95 and swapping front ends, as those have no holes to fill and have the same interior.
Yes, that would make sense except I found this car with a bunch of stuff already done to it including a t45 swap. so I think switching out the bumpers, hood etc is easier. Also I like the 94-97 interior better so its either buy the old car and swap the whole interior with complicated electronics or get the newer one and swap the headlights, bumpers, hood etc. I wish it was a 95 with out the side molding but I couldn't pass up this car with all the mods done with a 5 speed swap already done.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm with most of these guys. How about build some GFX for it? Or find a Xenon kit.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Unless you are a pro at bodywork, or have the money to get it done at a custom shop; it's going to end up looking like crap.

I have to agree with everyone else. Your Tbird looks nice the way it is, just clean it up and be happy with it. If you really are set on the earlier body it's going to be easier to swap your interior and engine/trans into a different car. Do you have anymore pictures of the car and the work done to it? It looks nice

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've never been a fan of the '96-'97 design updates (makes it look "cute" like it's in a Pixar "Cars" movie and it's going to start talking), the '97 center console is the only improvement I see, but that sounds like a load of work. I have a '95 (my favorite version) and I have contemplated changing just the rear bumper by adding some kind of splitter/bottom exhaust cutout piece from a Mustang or something but even that sounds irritating, I can't imagine the extra hell of what you want to do.

I agree with others, you'd need the rear bumper, too, or that cladding mess will still be there. Maybe if you can find a decent '93 in a junkyard to grab all the main parts? I wonder if you might need the front fenders, too. I've been searching for certain minor parts off of '94-'97 cars in the Pick-Your-Parts around me, sometimes I see the older '89-'93s (though no Thunderbirds there lately) so that might be the way you need to go to get all the crap that this swap is going to require. I mean, the cost of solid metalwork, it might even been worth it to grab 2 doors off the older car and repaint them? I have no idea, but if you can score an entire '93 it might solve the money half (minus paint).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts