TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I can't lie, the 89 has only got about 3,000 or 4,000 miles on her in the last year. Between having a newer one that is more enjoyable to drive and, well, working from home and no longer driving to work, it has sat a bunch. The 89 is more comfortable than my lowered and low profile tired 97, and it is old enough that I care less and less about what nastiness the kids leave behind (watermelon yogurt in a tube anyone?)

I decided to get her all ready to do serious filling in for my other cars, I am putting way more miles on my 97 than I had hoped to, and my 00 Grand Marquis is turning 120k miles and it gets nearly 600 miles a week.

I clean her up (dang non clear coat colors for 89), check the fluids, check the tires, all set. Go get some gas in her, and I was driving her...hard, because it is only a NA V6, when BAM I hear a loud noise and see this from the driver seat (okay, this picture os from the other direction, but you know what i mean):

CRAP, it is obvious from the damage what happened, and I guess I need to put a new alternator on her, the fan is part of the shaft, not the pulley, right?

It survived daily driver status parked in a Wal*Mart parking lot for many years with very little door rash, it survived two kids, many trips to Mexico, and me beating the heck out of it, and the body was in nice shape, now this :(

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
The fan just slides on before the pulley.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
thats a weird looking alternator.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Make sure yo replace the serpentine belt while you are at it. It looks like the alternator fan was rubbing against it for a while before it decided to take flight.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tensioner pulley got broken in the alternator fan shrapnel as well, and the belt is toast too, a pretty recent one I think too :(

I don't know how long the alternator will last with no fan, it is already 80 degrees here, but I hoped to get 200 or 300 miles a week on it instead of the other cars, oh well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts