TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gonna do a little outdoor cookin' this upcoming weekend at a friend's house, Texas Style! Stocked up and ready!

As you can see, us Texans take our smoking, barbecuing, and grilling very seriously.

On the menu: Brisket, Babyback ribs. Maybe more. Pics to follow.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Got Wood?:D

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Damn thats nice. Does TaxUs have limits on when you can have open flames outside during the hot months like AZ? I can taste those ribs LOL I love ribs. I wonder what pecan wood does for taste.

·
Super Moderator
9,181 Posts
Do you ship to Ohio? :D

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Damn thats nice. Does TaxUs have limits on when you can have open flames outside during the hot months like AZ? I can taste those ribs LOL I love ribs. I wonder what pecan wood does for taste.
No limits that I know of. Open-flame "carne asadas" here are a way of life year-round.

Nut-fed pigs + smoke of nut-bearing hardwood trees = heaven :D

Do you ship to Ohio? :D
hehe, I've had requests but shipping ain't cheap lol

here is a brisket that I made for Xmas '08....here, it is around 8am (about 12 hrs into the smoking)

I don't have an 'after' pic of that one, but it ends up like this one I made in March '10

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
gm said:
it is around 8am (about 12 hrs into the smoking)
There's no way I have the patience to wait that long to eat anything!! (Well maybe not “anything”. :xpwink:)

Just give me a heavily marbled Ribeye steak, a hot grill and about 5 minutes and I'm happy. :D

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's no way I have the patience to wait that long to eat anything!! (Well maybe not “anything”. :xpwink:)

Just give me a heavily marbled Ribeye steak, a hot grill and about 5 minutes and I'm happy. :D
Hehe, and that brisket took about 22hrs total. I love ribeye as well but grilling is way on the other side of the scale that I visit only about once a month or two.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
pecan is very nice.

I like to use the pecan shells as well.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
i've had mine going here recently as well. this was sunday about noon-ish:

Mine's not quite as fancy as yours, but it gets the job done. I also have a cache of different wood flavors. I'm kind of partial to apple, cherry, or maple though. I've got pear, pecan, cherry, apple, hickory, mesquite, water oak?, and maple. I probably overlooked some too. I love my smoker, but mine never takes 22hrs. Lol. I had a small brisket on for about 3-4hrs and it was perfect. About 1/8" smoke ring around it. I was in a hurry to eat it or I would have gotten pics. Gonna try some babybacks for the 4th.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a nice assortmemt of cooking woods ya got there. We're actually gonna use the same exact smoker at my buddies house this weekend. One of mine has the offset smoker box to the left and my other one is a small vertical smoker.

Looking forward to some pics of whatever you make on the 4th!

·
Registered
174 Posts
The problem with Jersey is its is near impossible to find someone cooking with charcoal let alone wood. Gas just doesn't fly in my family, haha let the jokes fly. Plus when most use charcoal they load it up with so much lighter fluid that the meat taste like a can of gasoline to me.

On that subject, my father always used a electric tool that heats a piece of metal that you then insert into pile of coals to heat them to cooking temp (electric charcoal starter). Antone have a clue where to find one of those contraptions these days.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see those electric charcoal starters everywhere around here. My preferred method is woodchips (that I save when chopping mesquite chunks), a couple 1" cubes of wax firestarters, with about 1/2 oz. Of lighter fluid to get everything going quickly.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Looks delicous, reminds me of the last pig roast I went to. about 9-12 hours cooking over a fire of hickory and apple wood. Forget the bbq sauce it dilutes the flavor.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've been trying to get apple and cherry wood from the place that I get most of this stuff from in Kyle, TX but he never has any when I go. Whatever little supply he does get runs out quick.

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
Looks delicous, reminds me of the last pig roast I went to. about 9-12 hours cooking over a fire of hickory and apple wood. Forget the bbq sauce it dilutes the flavor.
Alan
That's the way we do it, a large pit full of hickory embers, insert pig, add more hickory, cook all day, lol.

We get hickory for free from one of my buddies that works for a place that makes hickory axe handles; the pieces are small, and burn very well. :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts