TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, so my tranny is just about shot. 230k miles, the last few with a jmod, 4k stall converter, cooler, and 4.10 gears. But its slipping bad, leaking from the tailshaft, mount is shot, and running extremely hot. I want to do something different and I wanted to see what some thoughts here were.

I'm looking between 3 options:
1: converting over to the t-56
2: looking into a 6 speed selectshift auto
3: built 4r70w with a double overdrive unit and paddle shifters

... also I may move down to a 3200 stall and 3.90 gear as well.

I know these have been talked about but are pie in the sky or very rare.. thoughts? help? lol

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
T-56 ftw

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
Forget the T56 and to a TR-6060 swap. Still a 6-speed, but it will be a much easier swap into the bird, the same as doing an 05+ mustang TR3650 swap, and the TR-6060 will be plenty strong for the power you have going through it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll look into it. I thought the TR-6060 was just the new t-56 and had no idea it'd be easier.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still kinda a newb and learning about this. Here is one site: http://www.gearvendors.com/hrford4s.html It looks like a tailshaft swap and a shorter driveshaft. But they also only list the e40d and idk if that will fit a 4r70w. I sent them an email and waiting on reply. It'll prob cost somewhere around 3k.. I'm not as worried about money, its about being different than everyone else

·
Super Moderator
12,424 Posts
LOL

Where have I seen that before? :tongue:

GM and I were just talking about those.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess the advantage is it seems easier than a selectshift and includes 2 more gears.. And allows a shorter driveshaft

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
The TR-6060 is a different trans from the T56, but because it was installed in the S197 mustang, it already has a 4.6 bell housing pattern, and it is already set up to use a hydraulic clutch so the stock hydraulic throwout bearing will work with the stock SC master cylinder. It also already has a remote mount shifter that will land perfectly in the right place for the T-bird, so the only custom parts will be a hydraulic line, a driveshaft, a speedcal for the trans, and a tune, all of which would be required for any manual trans swap. Other than that, everything will bolt right in and work, no cutting of the floor, or the trans, or extending the shifter, or TIG welding, or swapping bell housings or tail shafts, or custom clutch setups, or anything like that.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm.. so a TR-6060 could be installed for a little over 2k... and easy.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
I'm still kinda a newb and learning about this. Here is one site: http://www.gearvendors.com/hrford4s.html It looks like a tailshaft swap and a shorter driveshaft. But they also only list the e40d and idk if that will fit a 4r70w. I sent them an email and waiting on reply. It'll prob cost somewhere around 3k.. I'm not as worried about money, its about being different than everyone else
So what did they reply to you?

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I don't know of any double overdrive units for 4r70w's but for about 15k to 20k you can put a couple gear vendors overdrive units on a thm400 converted to lockup. Double overdrive isn't all that useful anyway if you have enough power to pull off the ratio you just want to make your rear gear setup for it unless you plan on running 200mph.
Alan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts