TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to know if anyone here has damaged their halfshafts. If you have, describe your setup and what happened....

·
Overkill Fetish Freak
2,458 Posts
I have seen the aftermath when the grease gets nasty and turns into a sand like goo that destroys the stuff inside the joints. I have personally seen the insides turned to dust.

-Scott

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
So that occurs due to contaminatino of the grease only, correct? It doesn't have anything to do with the amount of power being made or anything else driving related breaking them right?

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
broke the driver side half shaft from my LS a while back, I replaced the whole rear end with SC half shafts and a 3.27 track loc pumpkin

the gears from the shaft that go into the pumkin were completly gone, don't know how they broke, my bro had the car that nite....

·
The Parts Guy
7,359 Posts
I did this in my 94 LX with the splitport 3.8L N/A, 4R70W, and FRPP centersection.

I left a stop sign at WOT, the tires spun for a few feet then hooked, and POW! The stock front diff mounts allowed the centersection to twist too much, breaking the halfshaft and rear diff cover in the process.

I haven't had any problems since I installed poly front diff mounts and SC "fat shafts".

-Rod

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice! man.... you kinda gotta admit that does make you feel proud...

·
The Parts Guy
7,359 Posts
jordansypek said:
nice! man.... you kinda gotta admit that does make you feel proud...
Yeah....I really wasn't too bummed about it when I had to call home for the truck and trailer. I was kind of waiting for that puny halfshaft to go, I just didn't expect the diff cover to break. :zdunno:

-Rod

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just had my Passenger side one rebuilt on the SC. Took it in because the boot was leaking. Turns out the reason was that the carrier housings were bent! CVJ Axle here in Denver replaced both ends with new. I’m guessing the reason they got bent is due to the slop in the stock (deteriorated) rubber front diff mounts. With our TCI Street Terminator equivalent tranny, the hard shifts didn’t help it any. Poly or aluminum is the only way to go.
On a side note; 92bird has been running around with V8 shafts in his SC for the last several years. A ~350hp motor, Early M5R2 five speed, 3.27 gears, and lots of spirited driving, should have taken their toll on the shafts if there as weak as everybody thinks. But they are still tight and perfect and will keep running on them with no worries.

---Max

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i have had a sc come in the shop with a leaky one and we replaced the whole shaft, was inside coming apart , now i have destroyed 2 8.8s in my f150 , never seen any through here other than noisy bearings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts