·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's Make March 5 a Day to SUPPORT the Bush Administration Policy on Iraq
By Jeremy Reynalds (bio)

Other Articles by Jeremy Reynalds
Back to News / Home Page

As a naturalized American citizen I'm especially proud to be a part of my adopted country. I just don't have any time for these anti-war protesters who both take every opportunity possible to denigrate the United States, as well as imply that the Bush administration is frothing at the mouth in a mad dash to go to war against Iraq.

As someone said on a radio show I was listening to earlier today, it's not that conservatives are pro-war; we're pro-peace. However, to keep the peace the launching of a pre-emptive strike against Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein is vitally necessary. After all, it's not as if we are dealing with someone whose word can be trusted. Hussein has had 12 years and broken 17 resolutions ordering him to disarm. What makes us think he's going to change now?

To believe that a Hussein behavior change is imminent is the height of naivete, although sadly there are a number of liberals out there who think that he will. I guess it just goes to prove what one well-known talk show host is fond of saying, that liberalism really is a mental disease.

The dangerous and pernicious symptoms of liberalism were really brought home to me recently when I stumbled upon the anti-war, anti-Bush, anti-everything-good-and-patriotic web site, www.notinourname.net. The operators of the site are vehemently and vocally opposing the impending war with Iraq, so much so that they've even set aside March 5 as a "National Moratorium to Stop the War on Iraq."

Here's some of what the people behind the site have planned. They're calling for everyone to show their opposition "to this shameful and unjust war and their determination to stop it." And if it looks like we'll go to war before that date, they plan to move up the moratorium date.

For example, the site asks people to show their support for the anti-war movement in a variety of ways such as calling in sick to work, hanging banners at major overpasses and engaging in acts of civil disobedience at military facilities.

Professors are also being asked to cancel classes and churches have been requested to hold special services, with a further suggestion that they ask their congregations to protest at military recruiting offices and open up their doors to conscientious objectors.

Then reminiscent of the 1960's, students are being asked to plan high school walkouts as well as a variety of other campus activities.

Site operators are attempting to justify their actions by comparing the impending war with Iraq to Hiroshima. They write in part:

"If you had known about Hiroshima in advance, what would you have done to stop it? Today's war-makers are telling us what they plan to do. This war will visit unspeakable terror and suffering on the people of Iraq, in the name of ‘liberating' them. It will put people all over the planet at risk, in the name of protecting them. It will, no doubt, be accompanied by even more severe repression within the U.S. against immigrants and against resisters. And it will mark another terrible step - the most horrific one yet - into a future of endless war and severe repression. It is up to the people to stop it."

Here's the problem. These individuals don't have any viable alternatives to war. Ask them what could work to contain Hussein if we don't go to war and they have no answer. Are they planning to rely on Hussein's integrity and his track record of keeping his word?

As President Bush so succinctly said in his State of the Union speech earlier this year:

"The dictator of Iraq is not disarming. To the contrary, he is deceiving ... Some have said we must not act until the threat is imminent. Since when have terrorists and tyrants announced their intentions, politely putting us on notice before they strike? If this threat is permitted to fully and suddenly emerge, all actions, all words and all recriminations would come too late. Trusting in the sanity and restraint of Saddam Hussein is not a strategy and it is not an option."

There's a statement at this anti-war website that stuck in my mind. It reads, "We must act on our conscience and resist as if the future depends on it - because it does. We must inspire and organize political resistance throughout society - where we live and where we work, where we go to school and where we raise our children, where we play and where we pray."

We need to take that statement and turn it around to our perspective. I hear someone say this morning, "Well, I know there were a lot of people out there demonstrating but look at all the people who DIDN'T turn out to demonstrate. They were at home supporting the war."

Maybe but maybe not. Some of those who stayed home may have been war supporters; some were no doubt opposed to the war. We'll never know because they were home. We have no way of ascertaining which side of the political spectrum they came down on.

With that in mind, we need to take March 5th and make it OUR day. Political disinvolvement benefits the other side. Send letters to your legislators telling them of your support for the Bush administration's position on Iraq; ask your pastor to hold a special service to pray for the troops who are currently in the Middle East and those who have yet to go. Hang banners of SUPPORT for the war at major overpasses and consider a legal demonstration close to your local military base assuring the armed forces of your support and prayers.

Taking a lesson from the rhetoric on www.notinourname.net, whoever you are and wherever you are, cross a line you haven't yet crossed to show your support for the Bush administration's policy on Iraq.

Then consider an afternoon or evening meeting to bring together everyone who has done something earlier that day in support the just war on Hussein.

To borrow a sentence from someone else's play book, "The possibilities are endless, collective and individual. Lay something important in your life on the line, along with hundreds of thousands of others on the same day, on March 5" to support President Bush's policy on Iraq.

Contact the organizers behind www.notinourname.net at [email protected] and tell them what we're planning. You may also call that office at (212) 969-8058. And don't forget to pray for the individual apparently behind the site; Charles Kissinger. You may e mail him (kindly) at [email protected]

Lastly, please circulate this article to as many sites on the web and as many friends as you can. Call your local news talk radio station. I am available to do interviews. Make copies and pass them out at church, and let's make March 5 a day of prayerful patriotic fervor not one of godless, anti-American cowardice. It will happen if you get involved; the choice is up to you!

Jeremy Reynalds is a freelance writer and the founder and director of Joy Junction, New Mexico's largest emergency homeless shelter. He has a master's degree in communication from the University of New Mexico and is pursuing his PhD in intercultural education at Biola University in Los Angeles. He is married with five children and lives in Albuquerque, New Mexico. His work can be viewed here and weekly at www.americasvoices.org. He may be contacted by e-mail at [email protected]

·
Registered
965 Posts
Many of the current anti war zealots and naysayers of today, were the same people who were applying a lot of political pressure on George senior during the first round with Iraq NOT to go all the way. They were so worried that if we went through Baghdad like we should have, that we would lose too many lives and the rest of the world (The UN) would think we were a bunch of heartless bastards, etc, etc. Plus they just wanted a chance to bash a conservative. All of this anti Iraq war crap just BS politics, these people (The Left.) are all making such a fuss because they don’t like GW and they don’t like conservatives. I don’t recall any of them having such a fit when Clinton sent troops into Bosnia, what’s up with that? You can bet that if we had a Democrat president right now we wouldn’t be hearing any of this silly crap from them. Well, just like anytime you half-*** a job, it will come back to bite you, and then you have to go back and do it over again. Let's get the job done right this time.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I sent em an email. This issue has been on my mind and heart for some time. Do you notice on the news that they say they have economic targets for thier protest? Sounds like terrorism to me...you should listen to thier objectives and past history. They need to be shut down.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
actually... the first war with George sr. was only to back Iraq out of kewait (sp?). That's it! The administration of the US wanted to knock Saddam out of power, but since we went the political way and wanted to get backed by our allies, we only did what we agreed upon.

I think these war protesters are either A.) a bunch of scared pu$$ies that refuse to fight for/support the very freedoms that they enjoy and take for granted on a daily basis or B.) Hard core Liberals (no offence to any body that believes in liberal views) that are sore that the reps. control the house/sentate and white house. It just makes no sense to me that someone can actually sit back and just say "screw it... let our children/the next generation deal with it, it's not our problem". Here is something I found at another website... it makes me sick. These people are sorry excuses for human beings.

"copied/pasted from a thread at the corral.

It was on the Soldiers for the Truth website.

"Marion Colston, a resident of Fort Sheridan, Ill., and the wife of a young Marine who has received orders to the Persian Gulf, informed the newspaper that several other military wives in her community have been verbally abused in public by members of the growing American anti-war movement.

"Several of my fellow Marine wives … have experienced verbal and physical abuse in the past few weeks … " Colston wrote. "One woman was told from another car at a stoplight that her husband was a baby killer, and that they hoped he would die."

She added, "Another [Marine wife] and her young son were yelled at and manhandled by a group of protesters as they were passing through the area. Why did this happen? Because the wives either had a Marine Corps sticker on the car or a Marine Corps shirt on."

^^^^^ If I EVER seen that taking place... I'd beat the person within an inch of their lives:mad:

I say, if you don't like the way things are.... GET THE F**K OUT BECAUSE NOBODY's FORCING YOU TO STAY!

·
Registered
397 Posts
The only objection I (as neither a liberal or a conservative) see to the war is that right now, we can't afford this. We're on the verge of another recession, and we're going to spend money a) buying off countries like turkey, b) financing the resources needed for the war and c) rebuilding iraq afterwards. This whole thing is going to cost a *lot* of money, especially if we have to go it alone without support from other countries. I think the best thing to do right now would be to wait. If not for diplomacy's sake, or to provide enough reasoning for other countries to see why this is so important, then for the simple fact that this may bankrupt us, a la WWI.

·
Registered
247 Posts
This country pumped trillions of dollars worth of men material, weapons etc. to all of the allied partners before during and after WWII. This while trying to recover from the depression.

I think we'll manage.

I think I'd rather move the barrel of the gun away from my head than wait and see if the bullet coming out of it will somehow miss me.

As Sinbad once said: ‘Trust in Allah. But tie up your camel.”

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
The thing that is wrong with this war on Iraq, is that the only reason it is happening is because we are seeing a recession, and there is nothing like a good war to turn an economy around. This is coming from someone who has a 'liberal' roommate who makes fun of my 'conservativeness' on a consistent basis. Liberal, Conservative, republican, democrat, its all a bunch of political BS. We would get so much more done in this country if our representatives represented their constituents and not their political party.

You don't have to be liberal to be against going to war. Remember how we got our freedom? Our fore fathers fought the English who ruled them for it, some outside country didn't decide that we should be liberated for us and then come in and start attacking the in place government. That is what Bush is trying to do and it isn't right. If the Iraqi people didn't like Heussein, why do you not hear about guerilla groups in Iraq forming to try to over throw him.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
The thing that is wrong with this war on Iraq, is that the only reason it is happening is because we are seeing a recession, and there is nothing like a good war to turn an economy around. This is coming from someone who has a 'liberal' roommate who makes fun of my 'conservativeness' on a consistent basis.
You really think this is about a recession? That's just as bad as people saying that it's about oil! It may play into it a little (politics as usual)... but look at the facts (did you see Powels speach?), this guy needs to be taken out. gzj14v put it best "I think I'd rather move the barrel of the gun away from my head than wait and see if the bullet coming out of it will somehow miss me."

Liberal, Conservative, republican, democrat, its all a bunch of political BS. We would get so much more done in this country if our representatives represented their constituents and not their political party.
I agree 110%

You don't have to be liberal to be against going to war.
again... I agree 110%, I don't think anybody really WANTS a war... but sometimes you need to do it for for the greater good which is ensuring the safety of the public, national security and our allies.

Remember how we got our freedom? Our fore fathers fought the English who ruled them for it, some outside country didn't decide that we should be liberated for us and then come in and start attacking the in place government. That is what Bush is trying to do and it isn't right.
EDIT: where do you think we would be right now if our Allies and us didn't step in and stop good 'ol Adolf Hitler from taking over Europe? Same difference in a sense

it has alot more to do with it than that... again, if you seen or read Powels speech you will see that there is more than enough evidence that show Saddam has WOMD and links to Al Queda (the SOB's that killed thousands of innocent people on 9/11/02). Also, look at how the country's run... these people are obviously scared of the guy. He's killed thousands of his own people but yet the election for him showed 99.9% of the people voted for him (yeah... I'm sure they all love the guy). They know that they will die if they oppose him, plus they don't have rights like the US like freedom of speach nor do they have sophisticated means of communication or weapons for that matter (hell, look at how advanced Saddams Scuds were in the gulf war... half of them would go off or fall apart before hitting any targets). I've seen interviews with citizens of Iraq that do not like Saddam but they are affraid to speak out against him because of what would happen if their identities were known. It's pretty obvious that they aren't going to be doing it anytime soon.

If the Iraqi people didn't like Heussein, why do you not hear about guerilla groups in Iraq forming to try to over throw him.
read above

take it easy bro and have a good weekend,
-Steve

P.S. don't take anything personaly or anything about my opinions, sometimes politics aren't the best thing to be discussing, lol :D

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
The thing that is wrong with this war on Iraq, is that the only reason it is happening is because we are seeing a recession, and there is nothing like a good war to turn an economy around. This is coming from someone who has a 'liberal' roommate who makes fun of my 'conservativeness' on a consistent basis. Liberal, Conservative, republican, democrat, its all a bunch of political BS. We would get so much more done in this country if our representatives represented their constituents and not their political party.

You don't have to be liberal to be against going to war. Remember how we got our freedom? Our fore fathers fought the English who ruled them for it, some outside country didn't decide that we should be liberated for us and then come in and start attacking the in place government. That is what Bush is trying to do and it isn't right. If the Iraqi people didn't like Heussein, why do you not hear about guerilla groups in Iraq forming to try to over throw him.

I respectfully disagree. A side benefit from our eventual victory if the war takes place will be freedom for the people. But it is not the main goal. The fact is, Saddam has no qualms about using this nasty crap on anyone, even his own people. So to imply that everyone in Iraq likes Saddam is plain ignorant. You think everyone under Stalin in Russia liked him? Nope. Yes, Stalin was removed from power, but I think you get my point. People aren't allowed to publicly disagree.

I do agree that our government is bogged down by partisan lines, but hey, welcome to America.

·
Registered
735 Posts
as a person who was in naval intelligence for 6 years at the uppermost level (i read that CIA study on thier projected Order of Battle LOOOOONG before congress was keen to it).

Facts:

You dont have all the information

On a grander scale of society, you do NOT need to know. Although, it would be nice.

You base your agree/disagree about this war off the information that you do know.

Now...those assumptions in mind, I know more than most. I dont know the most because of the several different levels of classification at the upper most levels. But I know enough to say that we need to disarm sadaam. North Korea will be a problem in the future.

You'll listen to a doctor because he's a professional. (albeit you can get a second opinion) and because he has the knowledge. You've just been advised by another professional. Take it as you will and please, please dont ask me questions on things you know I am not allowed to answer.

Talking notes: Dont say youre against the war because of the economy. That type of thinking is what got us into this mess (foreign policy). Some things pay off later. Dont say its about oil, because its not. Otherwise, we'd be bombing saudi arabia and coming up with all kinds of bogus info to justify it. Not to mention a refocus of govt efforts for a fuel cell vehcile.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
one more thing...

4 Cam Bird said:
You don't have to be liberal to be against going to war.
how many protests did you see when Billary Clinton wanted to send our troops over Kosovo? But now that there is a Dem. in the white house, there is protesting at college's nation wide (which a vast majority of the teachers are very liberal)... kind of Ironic if you ask me. That's one of the reasons that I threw that in my origional statement

·
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.
1,267 Posts
Originally posted by SC Steve: But now that there is a Dem. in the white house
Last time I checked, Bush also stood for REPUBLICAN.

Anyways, back to the matter at hand, umm, March 5th is my birthday, so how about we just give me presents and car parts and money and call it good, alright, k, glad we all agree, WHEW!, glad to get that sorted out.

·
Registered
724 Posts
First: I support our troops 100%, especally as my brother is one. He was allready over there and it looks like he's going back again.

Second: There may be very valid reasons and arguments for us going to war. However, just saying "trust me, I know whats best" isn't going to cut it. And if you look at how the current administration has handles foreign relations with our allies and the EU it doesn't bode well if that can be extrapolated in any way to their ability to plan for war and what comes after.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Blown94SC, I agree 100%.

Also, he's violated 17 resolutions, and he never even lived up to the 1991 surrender terms.

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
Bombs Over Baghdad!!! :ztoohot:

How about we blow them up this year so we don't have to worry about it again 12 years from now?

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Just a couple things that have probably been harped on before:

1) The organizers of most of the protests you saw on TV (CSPAN, CNN, ETC) were organized by COMMUNISTS. Ofcourse they're going to ***** about everything the United States wants to do. Also, alot of these people are college kids, and anybody in college can probably recognize it for the breeding ground of Liberals and Communists that it is. So much for so called "higher education"

2) We don't give a **** about their oil. We have more than enough here. But it doesn't seem like it because the tree-huggers won't let us had 100 acres of Alaska to drill in and the oil companies are money grubbing pricks, so they won't let the cost of a gallon of gasoline go down.

3) International opposition is being headed by, guess who, a close personal friend of Saddam Hussein. Jaque Chiraq (Not to mention China and the Other Socialist Republic, Germany. ANd yes, I know China isn't a socialist country, but France and Germany are). There's a post around here that led me to an interesting Rush Limbaugh piece, I'm sure somebody will dig it up.

4) Recession? We can thank Clinton for that. It takes time for the economy to turn around and do a nose dive. 8 years of Regan and 8 years of Clinton cancel eachother out, though I'm sure someone with an armchair degreee will disagree with me on this. But if the economy was so ****ty, why are people still ordering so damn many pizzas?! Huh? :) Yes. Pizza Hut as a national economic barometer. :)

Anyway.. [/setmode :zsoapbox: ]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts