TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My understanding from reading here and there is that this is my biggest concern if (when) I find an SC in my price range, I might as well plan on replacing them to be safe. I haven't seen under the hood, is this a major ordeal (i.e. let someone else do it) or a get-used-to-it-do-it-yourself project?
Here's what I've found, please chime in:

-Caused partially by inadequate cooling: need to keep up with flushing the radiator and proper coolant mixture. Water Wetter may help also.

-Iron block, aluminum heads. I've always heard that this combination can be hard on gaskets due to the two metals having different rates of expansion/heat handling. So, keep up with the rest to keep this from getting the best of you. (correct me if I'm wrong--it happens ;))

-Back pressure contributes, due to restrictive stock exhaust: Good excuse for headers and/or catback exhaust. Gotta use these excuses when they're convenient. :D Then, and only after that, go for the new pulley.

-Any other tricks? Does the SC have electric fan(s)? How about an upgrade, or swap from mechanical fan (if so equipped)?

If this is the problem these cars are known for, to me, that just doesn't sound too bad at all, if caught before the problem blows up in your face. Better than Stealth/3000GT's with timing belt problems though, and other quirks cars just tend to have. Is there anything else that's well known? Is one tranny more reliable (manual vs. auto)? Do the superchargers tend to need replacing after so many miles/years? Or can they be rebuilt?

·
Registered
437 Posts
R & R HG's

I wouldn't replace the HG's unless they are blown. However it might be a good idea to start getting the parts ready. Eventually you're gonna have to replace them.

One tip on the iron block/alum. head issue. Always let your SC warm up a few minutes before driving it. This lets the metals expand first, the expansion will give you some extra clamping force on the HG's. Not letting it warm up, is an excellent way to invite the HG fairy into your garage!

Absolutely get a good low restriction exhaust on the car! That's the first thing you want to do!

68COUGAR

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I'm going to look at a car, is there any way to tell if the gaskets are on the decline or about to give? Would there be noticeable vacuum leaks?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I blew mine twice

I never saw any indication that they were about to go. When they do, you'll KNOW, that's for certain!

68COUGAR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts