TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anyones silverstar bulbs burnt out yet?? I have had them on for about a year and they are still the best lighting I have ever had on my bird. Do these outlast or last about the same as a standard halogen bulb? What is the standard expectancy>

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've put Silverstars in all my cars and the bulbs have outlasted my cars. Can't tell ya the life expectancy on them, but I've had most of them a minimum of 4 years in all my cars.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
I've had mine in since Christmas of 2002. They still work even after this!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
The stated life expentancy is way less than a normal bulb, and 200 times less than a long life ExtraVision bulbs.

Having said that, I have had Silverstars in my 2000 Grand Marquis since November 2001 and they are fine. The car has auto lamp and they are on more often than if you manually turned them on (dash mat shades the sensor), and no problems. BUT my 89 Cougar would still have the original bulbs if I didn't swap them for the Cool Blue bulbs, the factory ones live on in my brother in laws car (which has had every single bulb replaced, and it is only 5 years old).

This is from Sylvanias site for 9007, low is low beam, high is high beam, number is its rating, which I have no idea what it is (hours, years, made up, etc):

Halogen Long Life - low 1500 high 250
Halogen - low 500 high 250
XtraVision - low 375 high 80
CoolBlue - low 200 high 90
Silverstar - low 150 high 90

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i am going on 3 + year for the most of mine

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had about 3 years on mine before they failed. They do not last as long as a normal bulb in part of the coating on the bulb which makes the bulb hold more heat thus limiting its life expectency.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Had some in the Cougar for over a year. Sold them and I think they still work. Bought some for my Bronco. They were NIB, but one busted after a couple months. Had the other one for about a year w/ no problems. Put in a CB bulb in the other side, and almost no difference. But I have foglights on the grill, so I couldn't tell unless it was a regular or old bulb.

·
Registered
608 Posts
i had a pair in my old 90 cougar, but htey blew on me due to a leaky housing, moisture is prolly the culprit. but ive had em on my 93 xr7 for about 2 years( put em in a month after my brother bought it) and no problems

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
One of mine went out after a year, just busted while I was driving, not sure why. Replaced with a Cool Blue one. Not too much difference. I've got foglights too, so it's bright enough.

Had the other bulb for two years.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
With a combined ~56k of driving between the two cars I am now on my third set. This last set I swapped over from my old car. My old one did not have auto lights and I used to always drive with them on so that may be why they only lasted for 20-25k. I am still extremely satisfied with them.

-Miller

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Ive dropped mine and accidently touched the bulb, but its still working.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Mine have been in for about two years, and I cant even guess how many miles. They are just as bright as when I bought them. Even the highs which are always on with the daytime runing lights are still working.

·
Registered
513 Posts
i had a silver star go out after a year

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
i had a set of them in my thunderbird for maybe 2 months, and then the driverside one broke, not burnt out, but shattered into pieces....so IDK.
although, come to think of it,that might have been because of 512 & Barber St.
( its kinda humpy when ur crossing 512, so maybe it busted the bulb, i was goin across there at about 45.)

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Cheap enough on eBay. Like $20-25 a pair, shipped.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I have the headlight silverstars on my Mustang, they're definantly bright..I get highbeamed like crazy on dark highways at night....they say "LOOK AT THESE" and show them the high beams :D I had them in my foglights too but they both only lasted about a month...I have heard that the silverstar fogs never last very long, plus my housings let moisture in so I'm sure that doesn't help bulb life expectancy.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
well one down for the count, my passenger side on the crown went out

1 - 20 of 23 Posts