TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Thunderbird with 280K miles with original transmission. With the exception of some torque coverter chatter works well.

Should consider a rebuild soon or could it last longer based on the fact it's been serviced regularly?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
With proper care and in the best of conditions, 300-400k isn't unheard of. As it has wear items, it won't last forever, but there are so many variables that it is hard to say. I know people that are on their third transmission in less than 100k miles, and these cars in fleet use go over 400k on the original transmission.

I am at 230k in my 2000 Grand Marquis, it is starting to show signs of wearing out, it doesn't immediately engage when backing off then going back to the gas, but it is barely noticeable.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
My 95 with the 4R70W is starting to slip a lot. Though I have a bit more miles on mine than you do. Mine was serviced regularly too. It just wore out I guess...

David

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
My 95 with the 4R70W is starting to slip a lot. Though I have a bit more miles on mine than you do. Mine was serviced regularly too. It just wore out I guess...

David
For 95-94s the 4r70ws and torque convertors are totally not made for performance and cant handle abuse. Its not really your fault in really high mileage cases. They just have parts that wear out at that point. However the trans could be fine and its the TC thats worn out. Tough to say but once I had my stock 94 POS trans and TC swapped for dirtydog units the car was a lot more fun to drive.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I pretty much beat my 1995 4R70W for about 7 years (3 years with a j-mod & a Mark VIII converter), so I find them pretty decent.
My roller clutch ultimately grenaded!

Nothing like the AOD that was a total POS...

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I pretty much beat my 1995 4R70W for about 7 years (3 years with a j-mod & a Mark VIII converter), so I find them pretty decent.
My roller clutch ultimately grenaded!

Nothing like the AOD that was a total POS...
Yeah under stock power no less, also the j mod and mark8 convertor are also mild solutions that keep the stock unit going.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Yeah under stock power no less, also the j mod and mark8 convertor are also mild solutions that keep the stock unit going.
I'm not disputing what you're saying I'm just saying I had my tranny my 95 tranny for 10 years. Stock power quite a bit of abuse. lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
i've had my bird since 99 bought it with 34,000 miles on it.. it now has almost 350,000 miles on it.. mine has the torque converter shudder now but it has been serviced regularly.. i do have an external trans cooler and mercron v in it..

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,452 Posts
IMO that's pretty amazing for those old 94-95 transmissions! Just guess that goes to show how far regular maintenance goes in the long run.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Well, I have 158,000 miles on my original transmission with no signs of potential failure. I've given it plenty of heavy duty use at the strip and not at the strip ;)

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback - Really hard call whether to replace before total failure or to nurse it along - Knowing me it will be nurse it

·
Super Moderator
5,084 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback - Really hard call whether to replace before total failure or to nurse it along - Knowing me it will be nurse it
Well, there's both choices - nurse the current one, and buy a good core out of the yard and rebuild it / get it rebuilt as funds are available. Then seal it up.

When the current tranny gets sick enough, swap'em.

RwP

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If you have shudder consider a tube of dr tranny instant shudder fix. I have a few 1000 miles on mine and it shifts like new. I was told to install it by a very reputable independent trans shop. He claims if these trans (even the 95) make it to 200K they can probably make it to 400K if driven conservatively, just his 2 cents... He also said a cooler will extend its life too... The friction modifiers are very sensitive to heat and are the first to go - then you have shudder.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Better base your decision on the condition of your radiator. I had a strawberry milkshake in my coolant tank at 270K miles and the water based adhesive on friction rings lasted about two short 5 mile trips to town and almost had to push it the last 1/4 mile home. Otherwise I would still be driving my Thunder Chicken. Should have by-passed the radiator altogether when I added the aux cooler.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
My Stock & total POS 96 Tranny lasted about 130K Miles on 96 MKVIII which puts a tad more "strain" on a 4r70w than your typical T Bird 4.6 - & I TOTALLY agree a Rad Cooler delete should be part of every Tranny swap.

·
Registered
510 Posts
My old Tbird (now my daughters) has 282k miles, all orig. only the Jmod was done, 11 yrs ago and a large external cooler was added in 1999.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My Bird has 288K miles on it all original. Seems to be well taken care of, I've only noticed the shudder once so far.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I find most of these cars had the transmission replaced under warranty from the dealer. If you did not buy the car new chances are it has been replaced at least once, but as far as rebuilding the 95 transmission goes even if it has lasted 300k miles it is not worth fixing. Late model cores are much much better.
Alan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts