TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrecked my Chevy Cavalier. I bought a 89 Ford Thunderbird. I love my car. I have a job at The Falls Mall. Ok, here's the story. I was on my way home today from the falls mall. I was traveling south on FL Turnpike. North of the Homestead toll plaza, a car in the right lane hit this huge branch (leaves and sticks and all). The branch flies out from under his car and is thrown in my path. I hit this huge branch. (Debris in road from hurricane winds) I heard a big thud. So, I figure that it puntured my tire on the pass. front. So, I took my foot off of the gas, and of course was slowing down to go through the Sunpass. After I get through the lane, I hit the gas, and the car doesn't move. I was like WTF? I looked down and the damn thing said "Check Engine". I was OK?! I pulled over and realized my car wasnt even running. LMAO. WHoops. So, I try starting it, no luck. I get out and look, there is gas flooding from my car. The branch ripped the f*&^ing fuel line out. I called AAA and they asked whats wrong, I told them and they couldnt tow my car until FHP assesed the situation. So I had to call FHP. Well, I made it CLEAR to dispatch that THERE WAS NO ACCIDENT, NO ONE WAS HURT, NO FIRE, AND NO INJURIES. Well, damn, guess who they send? Ambulance, f$&#ing Miami Dade Fire Rescue and metro police, more FHP. (There was already one FHP with me. He was telling them on the radio there was no need.) They blocked traffic heading south on the Turnpike. ALL OF THIS BECAUSE DUMB F***ING DISPATCH DIDNT TELL THEM THERE WAS NO ACCIDENT! OMFG! I was so Fing embarrased. All that tax money, wasting time when they could have been at a REAL emergency. OMG
I finally get towed....


To the shop it goes on monday.

Is the fuel line being ripped out a major problem?
I am so mad at this.
Freak accident. BLEH

Comments?


THX FOR LISTENING!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,725 Posts
sorry to hear about your troubles. I would imagine they wanted fire-rescue there or
fire trucks due to the fuel spill. be glad nobody driving by tossed a lit cigarette out
the window at you!

I can't say on the fuel line replacement......i'm the missus (to tbirdbrain)
and he's not here or i would ask him.

good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
I doubt the fuel igniting was an issue, especially if the road was already wet from rain. The big thing is that gasoline is damned slippery and particularly so when coupled with a little water. They probably just didn't want people out there skating around with 4k pound cars. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually there was no rain. The road was dry as they could get. It's just a bad day. But the Dispatch actually told the FHP that the car was on fire. Cause they discribed it as a cream thunderbird on fire to the FHP with people inside. I was mainly upset because someone could have been dieing while everyone was at the scene of my troubles. I have had my bird for 29 days. Since, I am a girl, I am not THAT mechanically inclined, especially when it comes to gas and fire. I am worried about how much it's gonna cost me. My cards are maxed as it is. :bawling:
 

·
Anything But Typical
Joined
·
1,337 Posts
ljbryant22 said:
Since, I am a girl, I am not THAT mechanically inclined
Please don't use that as an excuse. You're not not mechanically inclined because you're female. It's because you just haven't learned yet. No one is born as a mechanic, you know.


Fuel line in itself is not all that expensive, but I don't know how much the mark-up on the parts and labor will end up costing you. Your best bet to save money is invest in a good Haynes or Chilton repair manual and fix your car yourself. If you feel you can't do it, see if someone near you on the boards will help. Lots of guys and gals here have come to my rescue when I didn't know what to do with my car.

--Molly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bet I will laugh. I am already laughing but I am upset about it.

Molly,
Maybe I worded that wrong. I have bought a Haynes repair manual.
I have grew up with my dad showing me about cars. I don't really want to mess with the fuel line. I just would be more comfortable if someone else that knew what they were doing were messing with it. I just don't want to be driving down the road and my car explode and burst into flames. This is the 2nd car in 2 months that I have done something too. My mechanic is a family friend and he usually charges me parts and then half labor or so. He is good to us. Thx for the feed back. :D

--LeAnn
 

·
Whining Intakes Rock
Joined
·
3,645 Posts
Fire Dept and usually Rescue responds to every accident or an incident with a fluid spill. Believe me they have plenty more fire trucks and rescue trucks to respond to other incidents. Besides, these guys/gals live for this. Anything to ride around with the lights/sirens going. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, I bet. That would be awesome, but I do know alot of rescue and such was sent to disaster areas. Oh well, I played spades for a few hours. I am over it. I am still worried about my car and it working right again. I have the worst luck, I swear.
 

·
Anything But Typical
Joined
·
1,337 Posts
ljbryant22 said:
I bet I will laugh. I am already laughing but I am upset about it.

Molly,
Maybe I worded that wrong. I have bought a Haynes repair manual.
I have grew up with my dad showing me about cars. I don't really want to mess with the fuel line. I just would be more comfortable if someone else that knew what they were doing were messing with it. I just don't want to be driving down the road and my car explode and burst into flames. This is the 2nd car in 2 months that I have done something too. My mechanic is a family friend and he usually charges me parts and then half labor or so. He is good to us. Thx for the feed back. :D

--LeAnn
Thousands of people dumber than you can replace a fuel line, so can you. I thought the same when I replaced my differential. I was surprised at how easy it was. I am sure somebody on TCCOA is close to you and would be more than happy to help.

--Craig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I fixed it. I got up under there and started doing stuff. I went to the hardware store and got some polyurethane lines and replaced all that stuff. Plugged everything back in. I was surprised that the car worked. No leaks. I am proud of this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
ljbryant22 said:
I fixed it. I got up under there and started doing stuff. I went to the hardware store and got some polyurethane lines and replaced all that stuff. Plugged everything back in. I was surprised that the car worked. No leaks. I am proud of this.
Congrats!
 

·
motor city poster
Joined
·
2,029 Posts
well im not sexist...but most girls/women wouldnt want to get under there and get dirty.... im glad u have the balls (lack of better words) to go and fix it yourself.. sorry about the problem in the first place but at least u could fix it :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
the responce is also for the hazmat spill of gas. For car accidents without fire or injury around here we still dispatch a district call. Rescue and an engine company are dispatched (sometimes 2 engines depending on the severity) and the fuel/oil/antifreeze spill must be contained and cleaned up before entering the strom drains. Also, with a gas spill there is the strong danger of a fire so the responding engine company will also be prepared to apply foam in the event that it lights off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The guys from the fire rescue looked at me like I was crazy. They asked, "Where's all the gas?" I pointed to the 3 gallons or so one the ground. They kinda gave me a dumb look and stood around and talked. They pushed my car up so it wasn't on the gas anymore, then laughed told me good luck and left. lol. I was embarrased because everyone was like "where's the accident and dead people?" I don't know what their dispatch told them, but damn. All that for 2-3 gal. of gas. :2huh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
ljbryant22 said:
I fixed it. I got up under there and started doing stuff. I went to the hardware store and got some polyurethane lines and replaced all that stuff. Plugged everything back in. I was surprised that the car worked. No leaks. I am proud of this.
Go on with your bad self! That's the way to do it. Learn as you go.

Good job!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Awww, Thx, guys and gal! My dad couldn't believe the car is running again. He told me not to touch it. He had zero faith in me. Thx for the encouragement! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
mdj1281 said:
the responce is also for the hazmat spill of gas. For car accidents without fire or injury around here we still dispatch a district call. Rescue and an engine company are dispatched (sometimes 2 engines depending on the severity) and the fuel/oil/antifreeze spill must be contained and cleaned up before entering the strom drains. Also, with a gas spill there is the strong danger of a fire so the responding engine company will also be prepared to apply foam in the event that it lights off.
Congrats on fixing your car yourself LeAnn! :D

mdj1281,

That foam comment makes me wonder... Do civilian fire departments use AFFF (Aquaeous Film Forming Foam) on fuel related fires like the Navy does?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
ljbryant22 said:
Awww, Thx, guys and gal! My dad couldn't believe the car is running again. He told me not to touch it. He had zero faith in me. Thx for the encouragement! :D
That probably wasn't a lack of faith from your dad, it was probably more concern for you potentially being injured if it wasn't done right since you haven't ever done that sort of repair before. :D Us dads usually don't express ourselves well...
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top