TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm tearing the mark apart, and the service manual says "lift and remove the coolant bypass tube" I got the bolts off of the bypass tube, but the tube itself won't budge. I've tried hitting it with a rubber mallet, pulling on it (duh), trying to pry it out with the end of the hammer, and nothing moves an inch. any tips on how to get it out? IDK if i should move on and come back to that or to figure it out before i remove anything else.

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
Those are almost impossible to get; I'd be careful. You will need one going back together.

It's got an o-ring at the bottom end; tapping gently works. Don't get it in a bind.

Try putting pb blaster into the groove around the tubes.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Those are almost impossible to get; I'd be careful. You will need one going back together.

It's got an o-ring at the bottom end; tapping gently works. Don't get it in a bind.

Try putting pb blaster into the groove around the tubes.
This is how I removed mine from my 93 engine. It took like 20 mins to get it out. I soaked the tubes with wd-40 around where they go into the head and proceeded to wiggle and pry upward. I tried to remove the plug, just for fun and easy block filling, but it wouldnt budge. Mine reinstalled no problem, but does anyone know how much replacements are? Thanks
-Rob

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, I ended up leaving it in, and bending the brackets out of the way so i could remove the intake. It looks like someone did this once before, so I'm not too worried about it. One thing that does worry me is that the IMRC's are clean, and the gaskets look new, yet they don't open. I bought an actuator so that if this was the case i could replace it, but it's on the back of the cylinder head. How am i going to get that off? I might just do a delete and get a tune to match.

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
After disassembling quite a few DOHC's, I've found this to be the easiest method of removing the crossover tube without damaging it.

Use a large flat screwdriver to carefully pry up on one side at a time at the temp sensor bungs, like so...

·
Super Moderator
16,766 Posts
After disassembling quite a few DOHC's, I've found this to be the easiest method of removing the crossover tube without damaging it.

Use a large flat screwdriver to carefully pry up on one side at a time at the temp sensor bungs, like so...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y207/racecougar/90%20XR7/winter%20project%2006-07/pryingupcrossover.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Thats how I did it when I was pulling apart a 4V at the junkyard, bent my craftsman screwdriver in the process though :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
10,319 Posts
One of the guys here that welds pretty well should make these out of aluminum; I'd buy one.

(I'm trying to get rid of all the steel in the coolant path on my mark engine.)

There were apparently bronze ones somewhere down the line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts