TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was browsing our drivetrain forums and read a post about a fella who had issues with raising his lowered bird for the tranny swap. sometimes one may find it difficult, so i'll offer some advice....

in my store, we have two types of lifting pads, small and big. small pads are an inch thick, big pads are two inches thick. when lifting most vehicles, either by an individual floor jack, or wiht a lift, require a lift pad be put in a specific place. lowered vehicles often times provide a challange.

i will not get into specific lift points, as every vehicle differs. i will describe what we do to lift get a floor jack in the proper position. when a vehicle is lowered, it is sometimes very difficult to slide a floor jack under the side(particularly hard when vehicles have a body kit, ground effects, gfx, or whatever you prefer to call it. well, to solve this issue, we simply pull the car in, stopping short, line uo one or two small blocks in front of each tire, followed by one or two large blocks. this, in essence, provides a movable ramp, leaving any front air damn out of the equation. we slowly, have the drive pull up on the blocks, leaving us enough ground clearance to slide the floor jack in from the side, or front, or rear.

so there ya have it, a safe, simple, easy way to lift a lowered vehicle. note that sokmetimes, it is easiest to simply have a big guy lift up on the fender and pull the vehicle off the ground enough to slide a jack under.

this is by no means the gospel, just a way to save owners of lowered vehicles time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
yeah i know what you mean! aaron and i had to use a pallet jack to lift the car enough to get the jack under it! thanks for the advice.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I have four 2 foot pieces of treated 2x12 that I use to put the car on the trailer and when I have to take it to the shop. I use all 4 for the trailer otherwise I have less than 3/4" clearance under the nose. I just use one under each front tire for the shop which adds just enough clearance to get it on the lift. The bad part is lowering the car down and forgetting to put the blocks back and realizing you can't get the lift arms out from under it. :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
ahhh just walk to the side of it and pick it up...that is what I do...then I have someone slide the jack under it.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
for the front, I can just slide a wal-mart jack in through the wheel well area and get it underneath the k-member. That seems to work best for me. Now when the xenon front goes on I may need to get a nice racing jack, which I wouldn't mind getting anyway because it only takes 2 pumps and it's up in the air :)
-Thomas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts