TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been playing with the idea of swapping out the Windstar wheels or using them for drag radials. They are 16x6.5" size and currently have P225/60R16 Michelin Pilots All Seasons.

If I wanted to get a wider rim, 7 or 7.5", what would be benefit for traction (which is always a problem for me). When you put a wider rim on a tire, does it expand the foot print by that much of a margin? If I bought a rim that was, say, 16-18LBS, would that help me any? I would imagine these mini-van rims might be a bit heavier. I would like to stay with 16" because the Michelins don't have very many miles on them but I bought them 3 years ago.

What do you think?

·
Registered
987 Posts
James,

Switching to a wider rim will not make the footprint any larger, but it will improve handling. Thunderbirds with the Sport option came with 7" wide wheels and your tire size.

·
Super Moderator
7,527 Posts
On a 225 tire, going from a 6.5" to a 7.5" rim isn't going to make much of a difference because the 225 is within the normal range for the 6.5" rim. If you were running 245s on a 6.5" rim, then stepping up to a wider wheel would make more of a difference. As for the weight, I don't know how much windstar wheels weigh compared to SC wheels or Taurus wheels or something like that, but the lighter the wheels, the easier it is to accelerate, brake, or turn them.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,265 Posts
Don't cheap out wjth your rims.
The wider the better.
For any type of racing the higher you can run your air pressure
the better the contact patch of the tire.

An example, drag cars running in the 10.5" tire class, they are running 14" wide rims.
That's to place a flat even strip of rubber down on the ground with firm sidewalls
for better handling at high speeds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts