TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 LX has developed a problem with no tail lights, dash lights or marker lights. Happened all of a sudden.
Was thinking either headlight switch or fuses. Fuses in order.
After an exhaustive search for how to replace the headlight switch , I am turning to you folks for help. The Haynes Manual doesn't cover the 97 model
dash/switch R/R .
Anybody got input on this ? It would be greatly appreciated.

1997 Thunderbird LX
White Pearl

·
Registered
63 Posts
Never had a tail light problem, but my 89 had headlights going in and out a few years ago. Replacing the switch fixed it. Easy job, just had to remove the trim panel from around the cluster to access the switch. Here's a diagram that should help.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,025 Posts
A few notes.

1) Toss that Haynes. It sucks. Pick up the Ford Factory Service Manual and a Ford Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (FSM and EVTM). NOW. (Ebay usually has them on hand)

2) Be very, Very, VERY careful removing that dash surround. Surrounds without broken tabs are like honest politicians - I'm sure there's some out there, but nobody can find one!

3) While the surround is off, I'd consider replacing the cluster lights - 194s, 2827s, the good LEDs, etc.

RwP

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you... did a little 'eyeballing' but your diagram will help immensely.... fun times.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had that happen before, it was also around the time the headlight switch had to be replaced, which caused confusion in my troubleshooting, but I think it turned out to be a fuse after all.

·
Super Moderator
10,772 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts