TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Is it normal for all my headlights and taillights to be on all the time even with the switch off? Isnt there an automatic turnon for lights? Maybe its shot? It definatly does not sound normal to me for the headlights and taillights to be on during the day as soon as I start the car.

·
5,650 Posts
It sounds like an issue with the autolamp system. The reasons the lights would be on all the time are if the light sensor is blocked or faulty or there is a bad relay. On top of the dash on the passenger side there is a grill in the plastic trim piece. Underneath this grill is the light sensor. It needs to be unblocked or it will think it's dark and needs to turn on the lights. If it's not blocked you can remedy the situation by turning the autolamp knob all the way down until it clicks. This will turn off the system.

The reason I assume you have the autolamp feature is because you say the lights are only on when the car is on. If it were a headlight switch problem, the lights would be on no matter what since power is delivered to the switch regardless of the ignition position of the car.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Was it a Canadian car? I would have to guess that these cars had DRLs too, but I also agree with everyone else, when I bought my car it had a dashmat without the hole cut for the sensor, and if I had the light switch in auto mode they were always one.

I don't know what a 94 has for a light switch if you have auto lamps, my 97 has a rotary wheel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help guys. It must be the sensor becouse there is nothing over that vent or anything. I turned the autolamp off (found where it was) [took me long enough it was right next to the regular knob] and the lights are now off when I turn the car on. Ill probably just leave it that way and not bother with the sensor for awhile. I have to get that hvac system working right. Thanks for your help again, I don't know what I would do without people who know these car like the back of their hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts