TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Ford Thunderbird LX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a limited slip diff in my Thunderbird, but the other day i was sliding and when i had spun around and slowed a lot suddenly it started 1 wheel peeling. I let off the gas and my limited slip diff came back but why did it cut out for that second? Is that how these are built or are the clutch packs inside of it slipping. I havent had an issue with it since.

·
Super Moderator
5,716 Posts
Clutch packs may be worn out.

Do remember, they're 25 years old of use and abuse; they DO wear out.

I'd plan on a rebuild if I were you.

RwP

Reactions: Grog6

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Im still trying to figure out what "sliding and spun around" means .. 🤔 that is not normal driving.

·
Super Moderator
11,671 Posts
Here in the south we call that "having fun in a parking lot." (walmart at 3:30 am) :)

Reactions: RalphP

·
Registered
1996 Ford Thunderbird LX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe my clutch packs are starting to slip in my diff. When replacing them is there an upgrade i can do to make it better in some way?

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
971 Posts
There is a better spring. Maybe an F150 iirc. You can get a kit with the better S spring and carbon clutches

·
Registered
1996 Ford Thunderbird LX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ill see what I can afford. Im basically just looking for a little upgrade if im gonna be replacing it. My plans with the car are to make it corner very well and see what its capabilities are in racing and autox, so i would wanna keep the lsd and probably change the rear gears while im at it.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,705 Posts
You can rebuild the clutch pack without disassembling and rebuilding the whole diff, it’s actually pretty easy.

If you’re interested in all out handling a lot of people leave the S spring out entirely for the purpose, keeps the clutches loose decelerating into turns but engages like it’s supposed to with power applied out of the turn.

·
Registered
1996 Ford Thunderbird LX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can rebuild the clutch pack without disassembling and rebuilding the whole diff, it’s actually pretty easy.

If you’re interested in all out handling a lot of people leave the S spring out entirely for the purpose, keeps the clutches loose decelerating into turns but engages like it’s supposed to with power applied out of the turn.
I might leave the spring in then. Im practicing slip angle in the car currently so I'd want that extra rotation on turn in.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I had a bad experience by adding the Ford friction additive. I added the entire little bottle while changing the diff fluid. After a few days the limited slip was doing almost nothing. I changed out the fluid again minus the Ford additive, and it's been working great since. If anything it's a bit too tight now because I get some chatter from it in tight corners.

Also are the carbon fiber clutch packs any better?

·
Registered
1996 Ford Thunderbird LX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a bad experience by adding the Ford friction additive. I added the entire little bottle while changing the diff fluid. After a few days the limited slip was doing almost nothing. I changed out the fluid again minus the Ford additive, and it's been working great since. If anything it's a bit too tight now because I get some chatter from it in tight corners.

Also are the carbon fiber clutch packs any better?
I assume those would wear out faster and be more expensive to replace, right?

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,705 Posts
Actually the CF should last a bit longer, but I don’t think they’re really worth the premium, alternate stacked standard clutches > carbon fiber standard stack(you could probably alternate stack those but you’d need to buy two sets). I think once you get to the point here you’re desiring upgrading the traction lok you should move on to a Torsen or similar instead.

·
Registered
1996 Ford Thunderbird LX
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually the CF should last a bit longer, but I don’t think they’re really worth the premium, alternate stacked standard clutches > carbon fiber standard stack(you could probably alternate stack those but you’d need to buy two sets). I think once you get to the point here you’re desiring upgrading the traction lok you should move on to a Torsen or similar instead.
Alternate stacked clutches? Is it as simple as it sounds?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts