TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What comes stock on tbirds? I have a 93 5.0 and i havent noticed only one of the tires spinning ever. Do birds come from the factory with limited slip? Also, what gears does my car have stock? 3.08?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
fords have limited slip

·
8,239 Posts
Becks said:
What comes stock on tbirds? I have a 93 5.0 and i havent noticed only one of the tires spinning ever. Do birds come from the factory with limited slip? Also, what gears does my car have stock? 3.08?
there is a gear decoder in the tech articles, you should be able to read the tag in the inside of the door jamb to read the axle code.

JH

·
Registered
437 Posts
Becks said:
Do birds come from the factory with limited slip?
The most common Ford (clutch type) limted slip differential is a Trac-Loc (Traction Lock). "Posi" (Positive Traction) is the Eaton clutch type limited slip differential that comes in most Bow-Tie products.

Eaton DOES make a Positive Traction unit for the 8.8" Ford diff. though. So if you go to a parts store & ask for a "Posi" for an Ford 8.8" diff., you might get what you ASKED for, and Not a Trac-Loc!!!!!

68COUGAR

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Aren't Positraction and trac-lok just company trademarks for a limited slip diff?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
trac loc is , not sure about posi, a true posi isnt a limited slip .

·
Registered
437 Posts
You GOTTA explain that statement!!!!!!!!

jk89cat said:
a true posi isnt a limited slip .
Please explain what YOU think "posi" is? If not short for "Positive Traction", what then? Perhaps you are confusing a Detroit Locker or Spool, with "posi"?

68COUGAR

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
its been while since i read it , i have to check my book at home. i'll explain tonight.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
ok 68cougar, heres the answer , a limited slip is a plate type that acts more like an open diff but holds more driving force to each wheel . . a true positraction unit as are in most gm products are a cone type, when the cones are pressed together , friction allows them to turn as one unit basicly making a locker. and their is a third as well, that uses a viscous clutch . which is smiller in design to a limted slip type, but relies on high viscosity oil to transmit the power. the viscous clutch is also used in most awd transfer cases too . a detroit locker is closer to spool than a posi or limted slip. even though it does have some differentail type gearing, its a basicly locked together type design, which is why its not the greatest if it is in any kind of street car. its more designed for racing and off road applications. hope that clarifies what i meant :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts