TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I can gather Ford's Trac-Loc is a limited slip differential, correct? Is this what keeps my rear-driver's side tire from burning rubber when I'm power breaking it? If I power break my car I leave ONE nice black mark from the rear-passenger side tire, but not the driver's side. Would a Trac-loc stop this? Where do I get it, how much does it cost, how is installation?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The trac loc doesn't keep your driver side rear burn burning rubber... It makes it
burn rubber... With an Open pumpkin the wheels with least resitance get's the power... With trac loc/limited slip the power is more like 70/30... Of course you can
get up to 50/50 but then you wouldn't be able to turn since when you turn the outer tire has to go faster than the inner since it's traveling a longer distance...

Here's some links on stuff that should work on our cars
Auburn Limited slip

Eaton Limited slip

Ford Racing

The absolutely easiest way to go is to go with a complete pumkin:
Like this one

If you get a limited slip/trac loc you need THIS when you change your gear oil in the pumpkin...

Installation of the trac loc isn't something you even want to think about..
It's just to take it of the car and go to some shop that knows what to do..
The best thing would be to get friends or someone on this board
recommend a shop...
If you go with a trac loc/limited slip (more or less same thing) I'd suggest getting new rear gears 'cause the price difference ins't that big.. On installing I mean..
But then there are other things to consider.. Like getting a drive shaft and a chip...

Hope it helps a little...

//Per

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
28 spline 8.8 Trac lok on ebay for tbird=find your price

install kit from dan=80$ or so

friction modifier and 8 quarts of fluid= 25$

labor, probably about 200-300$.

joseph

Do you want steeper gears? 160$ plus speedo gear 8$, plus chip depending on the ratio 300$.

Driveshaft=300-450$.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Forgot one trac loc.. Don't know how since that's the one I'm going to use:
Torsen

I can't give you an estimate since I don't have a clue on what you guys pay...
But I'm calculating for around 1700-2000 bucks for driveshaft, gears, trac loc, installation and chip... But I'm going to the extremes..

But I'd go on what The great O(ne)bducina says since you guys are from the same country...

//Per

1 - 5 of 5 Posts