TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
snap2 said:
Do the Lincoln Cont. 3.8's have the same problem as our 3.8's (headgasket etc.)
Underneath the front wheel drive junk, it's the same engine. Since Ford didn't "fix" the problem until 96 I'm betting they do.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Some vehicles have it worse, I think it was the Windstars that have reverse flow cooling or something about the way it flows that causes issue even faster than in the MN12 cars.

Went I first starting looking around when mine went in my 89, second to Cougar/Thuderbird, and maybe even more, was Windstar. 3.8 headgasket altavista search was tough to see back then.

·
Registered
33 Posts
head gaskets

Hey this what I did on my wifes windstar with a 3.8 it started to run hot a lot and we could smell coolant when we stop, so I put some bars leak in it and it seemed to fixed the problem so far. Not running hot any more nor do we smell coolant. Also installed a new thermostat.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That stuff is usually just a temporary fix, sometimes even less (tried it on my mom's explorer.... she ended up running it too hot and screwing stuff up). If you could smell it and that fixed the problem for now, it was probabaly a small leak from somewhere like a hose or the t-stat housing, dripping in the engine (my t-stat housing used to do that). I seriously doubt it'd fix a headgasket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts