TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the 4.6L DOHC Lincoln block out of say a MarkVIII or a brand new continental is the same block as what is in the 96-98 and 99/01 cobra? I know they are both aluminum blocks and heads, and the internals are slightly different but what else? Can I put a Cobra crank in the lincoln motor? What my plan is I want to buy a motor from a lincoln because they are much cheaper, put 03/04 cobra internals in it, put cobra heads on it, supercharge it and drop it in my 90 Tbird SC. I have more plans but this is just a start.

Shane

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
quick35th said:
Does anyone know if the 4.6L DOHC Lincoln block out of say a MarkVIII or a brand new continental is the same block as what is in the 96-98 and 99/01 cobra? I know they are both aluminum blocks and heads, and the internals are slightly different but what else? Can I put a Cobra crank in the lincoln motor? What my plan is I want to buy a motor from a lincoln because they are much cheaper, put 03/04 cobra internals in it, put cobra heads on it, supercharge it and drop it in my 90 Tbird SC. I have more plans but this is just a start.

Shane
The Mark and Cobra blocks are identical in every aspect except for the crankshaft being a cast variety instead of the twist forged steel piece.Continentals are FWD,and those blocks WILL NOT work in a RWD car.
JL

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Continentals are FWD really? I didn't know that. Hmm. So can I put the Cobra crank in a MarkVIII engine than? From what I though/heard the Mark8 is a 6bolt main and the cobra is a 8bolt main. Is this true? If so, can I still put the cobra crank in the Mark8 motor?

Shane

·
3,232 Posts
The cobra crank drops right in,the bolt differences you're reading about are the flywheel retention bolts.The Forged Cobra crank uses 8 bolts,and the cast Mark8 crank uses 6.
JL

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh... cool. Thanks for the help. So why wont the continental motor work? Is it because of how the tranny will bolt up?

Shane

·
3,232 Posts
quick35th said:
Is it because of how the tranny will bolt up?

Shane
Bingo.
JL

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Johnny Langton said:
Bingo.
JL
So I take it that the bellhousing is of a different bolt pattern and a T-45/T56 wont bolt up then.

Shane

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
quick35th said:
So I take it that the bellhousing is of a different bolt pattern and a T-45/T56 wont bolt up then.

Shane
You can't use the FWD block in a RWD car, that simple. A RWD block will have no problems with a T-45 or whatever else you want to throw at it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm thats what I figured I just wanted to know the details. I have my eye on a 99 Cobra engine for my 35th so hopefully everything goes as planned. If not I will prolly be in the market for a Mark8 motor.

Shane

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way, but please don't radically modify a 35th anniversary SC :bawling:

I know it's your car, but the 35th SC's are so nice. Just get yourself a V8 car with a blow motor and do the swap into that. (And the electronics will be a lot easier on an originally V8 car.) :D

·
3,232 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but please don't radically modify a 35th anniversary SC :bawling:

I know it's your car, but the 35th SC's are so nice. Just get yourself a V8 car with a blow motor and do the swap into that. (And the electronics will be a lot easier on an originally V8 car.) :D
Why-it's a damned car-nothing more,nothing special at all. If it were so special,then Ford would have sold them for 2x what they did,and they would all be in climate controlled storage right now after being bought by collectors.
And yes,the electircal will be much easier on the V8 car.
JL

·
The Parts Guy
7,269 Posts
I think it's too late. I'm pretty sure he already started gutting the car. But I'll let him talk about that.

The electronics will be a lot easier on an originally V8 car. :D
After installing a DOHC in a 90 XR7, I can definitely agree with that statement. Swapping a DOHC into a 94-97 4.6L Tbird would be a piece of cake.

Johnny Langton said:
they would all be in climate controlled storage right now after being bought by collectors.
My 35th's aren't in climate controlled storage, but they are at least sheltered. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I hate to see 35th's parted out, rust away, abused, and the like.

-Rod

·
8,239 Posts
heck, put a 4v in a supercoupe it will run better and you don't have to worry about it eating itself every five minutes.

A 35th anniversary with like no miles on it, in a museum somewhere is a special car. A car that has been registered and driven on the streets is not as special. Not saying its not a nice car, but its not the holy grail.

JH

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Man, its not like he's cutting the car up, just putting a different engine in it. If you saw it parked at the mall you wouldn't know the difference. Some day some collector will still be able to throw a head gasket eating monster back in and have his collectors car. In the mean time, this guy will have a sweet fun to drive car that will be much more reliable.

Besides, for all the people who want to collect them, the less there are the more the remaining are worth.

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
And if the 35th SC's are like 99% of the others that are still on the road, they are either beat to hell, have a ton of miles on them, or have alot of mechanical problems. It's getting harder to find a well kept Super Coupe. I hate to see a 35th torn up, but it sounds like he's just modding the drivetrain. Atleast he's still keeping the car and not totally scrapping it.

-Andy "Melon"

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Well as racecougar said... too late. Beleive me, it was very hard to deside whether or not to strip and gut it. It was the perfect canadate for what I wanted. It was rust free, not banged up, paint pretty nice, no sunroof. The body is nearly perfect but the car had only two downfalls. One, the seats were in terrible shape and two, it has 196K on the clock. But you would never beleive the milage by how well the motor ran and how the rest of the car looks. The headgasket eating monster motor is flawless. It was rebuild shortly before I baught it. Everything is pretty clean on the car. I wont be letting this car rust away either. It sits in my garage all winter and stays nice and dry.

4 Cam Bird said:
Man, its not like he's cutting the car up, just putting a different engine in it. If you saw it parked at the mall you wouldn't know the difference.
You will be able to tell the defferance for sure after my 35th is all done.

Melon said:
I hate to see a 35th torn up, but it sounds like he's just modding the drivetrain. Atleast he's still keeping the car and not totally scrapping it.

-Andy "Melon"
I know me too but it had to be done. It was mine or I buy another 35th and do the very same to it. The entire drivetrain will be modded, either a 8 or 10 point cage will be going in, bigger brakes, konis, lexan windows, fuel cell, side exhaust, pretty much it will turn into a pure bread racecar that I want to still keep street legal. Autocross it some until the funds start poring in then move on to some SCCA club racing and try my hat at the Valvoline Runoffs some day. Maybe even try to win a SoloII championship with the car.

I love the 35th SCs so much. They are one of my all time favorite cars out there. Yeah most all people would love to see my car being babied all its life but wouldn't it be really cool to see one out there on a race track doing battle? I mean that would be one of the coolest things ever to see a SC schooling mustangs, comaros and firebirds and it being a 35th would make it that much sweetter. I dont think its a bad thing to do what I am doing. One thing that helped my decission is the fact that there will always be low milage 35ths in excellent condition out there. I will buy another one someday in perfect shape with a 5spd and put it next to its sister racecar.

Shane

Heres some pics:

Here is the thread over on the SCCoA where I talk about everything I have planned to do to the car, but it needs to be updated alittle.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53437&page=1&pp=15

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have a question on this topic sorta, What was that site where you could locate any engine you wanted in the US? I couldn't find it using search

1 - 20 of 26 Posts