1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
i had one. it's a money pit. comnfortable. smooth on the road. decent power. something is always breaking, and the parts aren't cheap. this from experience as a ls owner and ford parts counterperson......

·
Super Moderator
7,490 Posts
They are pretty common over here, but were not exactly very reliable. One thing that might be a selling point for you though is they are built on the same platform as the S-type Jaguar, so it would probably be easier for you to get parts for than the tbird.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I have the 2 door convertible version of that car. AKA the 02-05 Thunderbird.

With a 2000 you're going to have to worry about the Coil On Plugs and the hydraulic radiator fan at the very least.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
i had one. it's a money pit. comnfortable. smooth on the road. decent power. something is always breaking, and the parts aren't cheap. this from experience as a ls owner and ford parts counterperson......
Just replace ls with tbird sc and it still holds true LOL

They are pretty common over here, but were not exactly very reliable. One thing that might be a selling point for you though is they are built on the same platform as the S-type Jaguar, so it would probably be easier for you to get parts for than the tbird.
Thats the first time Ive heard of a jag cheaper than a bird but its also pretty true. I have seen them in the junkyard and the interiors and suspensions aren't bad looking I gave one a good look. Looked like the proto type awd suspension front lower A arms with IRS. It looked like a better designed tbird suspension Ill give it that.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Just be aware that despite having the same frame, transmission, engine etc. The computers and wiring harness are different.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the 2 door convertible version of that car. AKA the 02-05 Thunderbird.

With a 2000 you're going to have to worry about the Coil On Plugs and the hydraulic radiator fan at the very least.
So its the same platform as the 02-05 Thunderbird AND Jaguar? The Thunderbird and Jaguar are FWD (I think), but Lincoln is RWD. I wonder why they didn't just make them all the same?

And "hydraulic" radiator fans? How could that possibly make sense? Talk about over-complicating things!

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Andy I know a bit about Jaguars , I had a 03 X-Type is was AWD, S-Type RWD, XK RWD XJ RWD thats here in the US, Over your area some may be FWD.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I think I have also heard horror stories of the pressed-on camshaft sprockets letting go on the 3.9l v8, ruining the engine in the process. It was fixed in later years(maybe 01+, cant remember.) The fix is to get them welded before something goes wrong. I think I have heard of this problem on the older v8 SHO too. Not sure what engine it uses. All of the plastic parts in the thermostat housing area are prone to cracking as well. I think those are the only two really big problems.

I have the 4.0 version of the engine in my Vanden Plas. It runs pretty good, gets 18mpg mostly highway while beating on it fairly hard. It also makes decent power, so it will accelerate pretty nicely.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
So its the same platform as the 02-05 Thunderbird AND Jaguar? The Thunderbird and Jaguar are FWD (I think), but Lincoln is RWD. I wonder why they didn't just make them all the same?

And "hydraulic" radiator fans? How could that possibly make sense? Talk about over-complicating things!
The 02-05 is RWD, I wouldn't buy a FWD car, lol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DEW_platform

As for the fans...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_LS

"Earlier LS models had a mechanical engine cooling fan that was operated with a hydraulic pump because the electrical charging system did not have sufficient capacity to effectively power an electric fan. Later on, thanks to an improved alternator design, the fan was changed to an electric version for the 2003-2006 models."

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting. I've had my Thunderbird so long I've clearly not been keeping up to date with anything else. I thought I'd read somewhere that the 02-05 Thunderbird was FWD - so glad its not!

I wasn't really considering buying the Lincoln, although it is going very cheap. Looks like no-one wants to buy it over here. Its a bit like when I briefly considered selling my Bird over here a few years ago, to get a Grand Marq. To get any interest at all, I had to drop the price so low that I decided to keep it. Very glad I did too!

For some reason in the UK if you take a mid 90's T-bird and a Mustang from the same year, the Mustang will get twice as much as the T-bird on Ebay. Stupid English people!

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
For some reason in the UK if you take a mid 90's T-bird and a Mustang from the same year, the Mustang will get twice as much as the T-bird on Ebay. Stupid English people!
Unfortunately that's pretty much true here as well.

I think the reason the Lincoln is going so cheap is because the parts that have a tendency to go wrong aren't exactly the same as the Jag parts so they may cost quite a bit. (was like $300 to replace the hydraulic fan in my 02 T-bird)

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Interesting. I've had my Thunderbird so long I've clearly not been keeping up to date with anything else. I thought I'd read somewhere that the 02-05 Thunderbird was FWD - so glad its not!

I wasn't really considering buying the Lincoln, although it is going very cheap. Looks like no-one wants to buy it over here. Its a bit like when I briefly considered selling my Bird over here a few years ago, to get a Grand Marq. To get any interest at all, I had to drop the price so low that I decided to keep it. Very glad I did too!

Are they left hand drive stangs??? I had a grand marq I love it really liked it after I had done some mods. I respect your dedication to keep the bird and not let it fly away on a whim. I bet birds/cats in the UK number less than 200 just a guess. Id keep mine knowing its so uncommon.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah the Stangs and Tbirds are all LH drive. There are quite a lot of Stangs available, not that you see many on the roads. I've only ever seen about 8 T-birds on Ebay over here in the last 7yrs and only one being driven on the road, and that was about 6yrs ago. That's one of the reasons I like like it. No-one knows what it is!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts