TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if i bought a line lock kit if i could install it with no problem, or will i have problems installing it, will it be as simple as installing it in a nova or chevelle

i wanted to do this so i cou8lod do better burn outs to lock up the front brakes only

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
cougar#1 said:
i wanted to do this so i cou8lod do better burn outs to lock up the front brakes only
Do it right and buy 3.73 or 4.10 Trac-Loc.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah but another advantage to a line lock is that you don't burn up your rear brakes. About the install, I'm not sure, I did one on my friend's Z28 an it wasn't hard at all.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
mylittleblackbird said:
But what he's trying to say is, don't use brakes(I think that is what he's saying). It's more impressive if you don't have to use them:)
Exactly what I meant.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
No it's not hard to install. Check over at MD, tons of people are running them.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
mylittleblackbird said:
Then do it in reverse. It'll spin em that way really easy.:D
reverse? whay would you want to lock the rear brakes for a burnout?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
GreenBird said:

reverse? whay would you want to lock the rear brakes for a burnout?
No, like put the tranny in reverse. I'm not sure about the 4R70W, but many cars make more torque in reverse than they do in 1st gear, depending on the ratios involved in the trans. Even my buddy's Aerostar can do a burnout when you give it a little brake and a lot of gas in reverse.

Pete

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Wearing out your tires needlessly is stupid... Cars do not accelerate while the tires are spinning.

Those of us that race, spend hours at the track and a lot of money testing different combinations that will allow us to launch WITHOUT spinning our tires.

The water box is for slicks... the soft rubber picks up debris that need to be cleaned off, and heating the rubber increases the coefficient of friction, the warmer rubber also softens the sticky stuff they put on the track and makes it stickier...

If you're running street tires, you don't want to go through the water box. The water gets in the groves of the tires and stays there through the burn out and hurts your traction and your 60' times. You're just thowing rubber (and money) away needlessly.

Burn outs on the street are ghey.. they do nothing but attract trouble.. either the police, a disgruntled neighbor, or some one that wants to race you on the street... take it to the track..

-mike

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
96 GoldBird said:
Wearing out your tires needlessly is stupid... Cars do not accelerate while the tires are spinning.

Those of us that race, spend hours at the track and a lot of money testing different combinations that will allow us to launch WITHOUT spinning our tires.

The water box is for slicks... the soft rubber picks up debris that need to be cleaned off, and heating the rubber increases the coefficient of friction, the warmer rubber also softens the sticky stuff they put on the track and makes it stickier...

If you're running street tires, you don't want to go through the water box. The water gets in the groves of the tires and stays there through the burn out and hurts your traction and your 60' times. You're just thowing rubber (and money) away needlessly.

Burn outs on the street are ghey.. they do nothing but attract trouble.. either the police, a disgruntled neighbor, or some one that wants to race you on the street... take it to the track..

-mike
:zwthstpd:
What he said...

·
Registered
890 Posts
96 GoldBird said:
Cars do not accelerate while the tires are spinning.

-mike
ok, they don't accelerate as quickly, but they do accelerate, otherwise you wouldn't get anywhere if your tires spun.

This isn't entirely apples to apples, but why wouldn't top fuel cars try to leave without spinning if it is faster? I know they break loose for a good portion of the track.

·
Registered
364 Posts
doing long burnouts on street tires is stupid but doing like 2-3 seconds lil burnout will heat the tires enough to give you that little extra bit of Hookup..

go try it.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Skunkworks, I remember reading something in Car Craft about that topic. They said a one to two second burn out on street tires is recommended, not to heat up the rubber to make it stickier, but just to help clean out the grooves of little pebbles and road debris to help you catch a good start. Any more than that, and you start doing what Gold Bird talked about.

And, yes, reverse burn outs are ghey, but that's why it was so funny to watch the rusted out Aerostar do one ;) smoke up the tires, then start scooting backwards.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Oh, also, about the top fuel guys....they do spin a little, but they are trying to walk a fine edge. The less wheel spin you have, the faster you go. But, on the flip side, if you can get more power without spinning, you can go faster. They are always trying to get the max power to the ground with minimal wheel spin, and when you are trying to land about 6,500 hp to the ground, it's impressive that those drivers don't spin more than they do.

Pete

1 - 20 of 22 Posts