TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Car died on me on the way to work and this is what I found today when I got home

Anyone know the line sizes, are these just fuel and is a compression fitting a acceptable fix? I drive 22miles round trip is it ok to drive til get some time (Thursday)?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
There is no pic showing so I don't know what you found!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The three line on the passengers side between the fuel filter and tank

·
Super Moderator
4,923 Posts
The fuel, return, and evap lines.

RwP

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
im confused.
I have been confused with the last two responses, Nick; the OP asked about the line size and a compression fitting (and if it was ok to drive home with this fix), so I don't understand this whole thread..... :tongue:

All I said was I couldn't see the pic!

·
Super Moderator
4,923 Posts
The pic is of the three lines - fuel, return, and evap. His are rusted.

The page he's linked to is very, VERY slow loading - slow enough TCCoA's servers give up on it. But if you open the image in another tab, in five minutes or so, it comes up.

RwP

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rust isn't the issue, they are crushed.

If I measured right 2 of the lines are 5/16 and one is 1/4 right? Currently I'm planning on doing a flare fitting on to the factory line but are compression fitting ok to use?

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Rust isn't the issue, they are crushed.

If I measured right 2 of the lines are 5/16 and one is 1/4 right? Currently I'm planning on doing a flare fitting on to the factory line but are compression fitting ok to use?
If you can get it to seal, yes, it will be fine. If you've used compression fittings before, you know they have to be tight, but not too tight or they will definitely leak.

I've got a compression fitting on one of my tranny lines on the Bird right now and it has MUCH more pressure than a fuel line.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have compression on my tranny lines too, didn't realize they have more pressure than fuel.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I have compression on my tranny lines too, didn't realize they have more pressure than fuel.
At idle, transmission fluid pressure runs 20-50 psi, during use, over 100 psi is common.

Fuel pressure is around 40 psi.

·
Registered
240 Posts
2 of mine were crushed years ago and I replaced mine with fuel hose and hose clamps. To this day I havent had an issue with them.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
2 of mine were crushed years ago and I replaced mine with fuel hose and hose clamps. To this day I havent had an issue with them.
I've patched broken tranny lines with fuel line and 4 clamps in the past, too. I've only had an issue one time where the hose expanded like a balloon and exploded under the pressure. :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts