TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else running their PA2-R ? I have had it for a while and i know its not a current piece anuymore but its really the only pre-amp with the knobs on 1 meter long cables so you can put them anywhere. Anyway, for those of you that may have one, does it break all the time? This is my 5 repair, usually 1 repair a year from their factory authorized repair place. T.I.P.S. in Mississippi. Parts for this thing are getting rare. Same problems? anyone?

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I've never had one, but I've always liked that unit. The controls always felt so solid and I liked the remote mount capability. I've seen them installed in many cool ways.

I've done some manual remote mounting of components before....taken the pots out of the box and extended their mounting to other locations. Never had one fail.

What it is with yours that keeps going bad? Perhaps there's a way to upgrade that component(s) to something with better longevity?

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i had a couple of the interal components in the input part of the board go out, but thats all i know about that. then the knobs themselves go bad, don't know how, but each knob has it own little printed board mounted to the knob then the cable. i guess the cables get breaks in them and they have to be repalced, mine never have. but they don't make the cables anymore , TIPS says that once they break a cable now they junk them. I would think its just wire and i could fix it, but i have never looked at the inside really. i just sent it off today. I'll get some pics of it when its not installed. i have never taken any for some reason. most people have never seen one and look at me like im crazy when i tell them each knob is on its own cable.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
If you ever come across another, lemme know. I'd love to have on in my car. They're ultra versatile. One I'd really like to find would be one that's "broken" and somebody replaced rather than bothered to fix. Lemme know if you come across anything.

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you must like to mess with that stuff. its a neat unit but these repairs are getting old. just the other day i was wondering who would want to buy something that was broken. Guess i found a person. if they can't get parts for it and they say scrap it, are you interested? what can a person expact to pay for a $400 broken pre-amp. thay can still get knobs but they are a little different that the stock ones. they don't have a center detent. so you have to visually set it flat. and the guts can still be replaced. i think its only the cables they cant get anymore. I'll know more in a week.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
It would kind of depend on what's wrong with it as to how much I would pay. I tend to be frugal, so lemme know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts