TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are lip seal tools really a necessity for a rebuild?
Any rebuild tips I must know?
I think I may get one of those monster in a box rebuild kits, it seems to have everything needed, or is it overkill, and I should I
just buy a cheaper version without all the electronics etc included .
My pump gasket is leaking, and my first gear slips some unless it is in manual 1.

Attachments

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,592 Posts
The lip seal protectors are extremely helpful. Some rebuild kits come with a green circle made of see through plastic. Those can be used to help install the lip seals. But they take much more time to install that way. You can even use a thin feeler guage carefully if it has vaseline or trans Gel on it to install the seals. If you are doing one trans only, you can work your way through without the lip seal tools. Otherwise it is a wise investment.

·
SuperNewbie
3,592 Posts
As for your other questions, post a link to the "monster in a box kit" I only buy wholesale kits from Transtar. So I'd have to see what you're looking at. As far as rebuild tips go. 1) Perform the Jmod while rebuilding. 2) Install a Sonnax main pressure regulator valve. 3) Be prepared to inspect EVERYTHING inside that trans. If you don't want to do it twice, you really have to look at everything.
Question, Do you have a transmission press to get the drums apart?

·
SuperNewbie
3,592 Posts
I looked up the kit, the price seems high to me. What is your application? Stock 97 Tbird or modded?

·
SuperNewbie
3,592 Posts
You may want to see if there is a transmission wholesale supplier in your area that you can buy from. The kind of place that the trans shops buy from. But 310 for that kit seems alright. Have you read the Jerry 101 trans technical article here on the site?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This valve?

I ordered that rebuild kit from amazon, and the clutch tool. If my bearings in the transmission are still good, can I reuse them?
I have looked through some of Jerry's thesis, but I will give it a couple of good reads before my kit shows up.
I have an uninstalled transmission that I will rebuild, so my car isn't immobile for too long.
Fuel pump died in the other bird last night...

·
SuperNewbie
3,592 Posts
This valve?
View attachment 48648
I ordered that rebuild kit from amazon, and the clutch tool. If my bearings in the transmission are still good, can I reuse them?
I have looked through some of Jerry's thesis, but I will give it a couple of good reads before my kit shows up.
I have an uninstalled transmission that I will rebuild, so my car isn't immobile for too long.
Fuel pump died in the other bird last night...
Yes that is the regulator valve. Yes in general you can reuse the torringtons.

Reactions: 3_97_sports

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been watching some rebuild videos, and one guy in a video said he replaces the epc solenoid in every build.
Is this a good idea?
Do you have recommendations for any particular video for rebuild info?

·
SuperNewbie
3,592 Posts
I have been watching some rebuild videos, and one guy in a video said he replaces the epc solenoid in every build.
Is this a good idea?
Do you have recommendations for any particular video for rebuild info?
It's a good idea, but you can test the resistance of the EPC too. I've reused them before. Believe it or not I've never watched a 4r70w rebuild video. I can't recommend any.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He was saying they can ohm out good, but the seat inside that you can't see can be damaged and leak. He also said that one of the drums he has never tried to install the seals without the tools, and recommends taking it to a tranny guy to install the seals on it because it 'takes two seconds' for them to do it.
I may seek your advice how to do it when I actually get it apart on the table in front of me.
Another guy who makes the tools was talking about putting the tool on, and then freezing it and doing it tomorrow...
I am finding lots of conflicting information online.

·
Super Moderator
12,764 Posts
I recommend using the seal installers, if you damage the edge of the seals, they will leak. I've put them in without them, but it's not easy.
I recommend the raybestos plates, and kollene steels are a good upgrade. Get the one piece seals, and the installer tool, for the teflon shaft seals. every one I've killed has been leaking scarf cut seals, except for the 127mph thing. and the stamped plate. :)
The thin alto red plates seem to die easily; but I only used them once. I use the stock stackup.
None of those solenoids are expensive; It's not worth the risk that one is bad.
Replace them all. Replace all the accumulator pistons.
If you think you damaged a seal, you damaged a seal; get a new one.
Only use lintless rags, that have been washed and line dried. (drying them exposes them to lint in the dryer.
One thread from a rag can fail a transmission, if it makes a valve leak, or plugs a hole.
I had a guy hand me a rag thread from a red rag, and a $500 bill for finding it, lol.

·
SuperNewbie
3,592 Posts
He was saying they can ohm out good, but the seat inside that you can't see can be damaged and leak. He also said that one of the drums he has never tried to install the seals without the tools, and recommends taking it to a tranny guy to install the seals on it because it 'takes two seconds' for them to do it.
I may seek your advice how to do it when I actually get it apart on the table in front of me.
Another guy who makes the tools was talking about putting the tool on, and then freezing it and doing it tomorrow...
I am finding lots of conflicting information online.
What video did you watch? If you can afford the lip seal tools get them. The 4r70w is a rather simple trans to work on. Great first trans to build. If you can afford a new EPC get one. If you need help let me know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts