TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1995 TBird came with a nice white pearl paint from the factory, which now has some hefty scratches next to the trunk keyhole because my dad shut the garage door on my car. Since it was his screwup, and his fault (he's the reason the car wasn't pulled all the way in) he said that we'l get it fixed and I don't have to spend anything on it. Anyways, got my estimate...

They need to repaint the entire deck lid because there's no way possible to blend in the new paint with the old because it's a 3 stage paint. The paint is something to the tune of nearly $150 per pint. PER PINT!!

Anyways, just thought this might be useful common knowledge if anyone here besides me has a pearlescent MN12.

(I'd post pics, but I don't own a digital camera. May take some regular pics and scan them though)

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
3 stage paint jobs are a booger. any goof up and you have to restart. I had heard from a painter that its close impossable ot impossible to blend a 3 stage for repairs.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, thats what they told me. Thats also why they'er having to charge me for the entire deck lid instead of the 6" square thats scratched. If I had a normal paint job, they could sand about a 1' area and blend it together. I love the looks of my car, but that'll make getting a hood for it cost like $800 or more!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got a '96 with the pearl white that i bought almost 2 months ago. apparently it was minorly sideswiped at some point before (i'm 3rd - and last - owner) and had a bit of very minor rust on the front left fender under what was the repaint job.

my dad has known the owner of the shop i go to since he was a kid and they have a real great body guy there. my paint cost $62 and to repair the rust, remove the fugly tape on pinstripe and repaint the fenter was $320.

The most interesting thing i found out from the body guy, was that there are two different pearl paints, each a tri-coat. I almost bought a different '96 pearl bird in may (missed it by 10 minutes) and that one had a bit more shimmer to it than mine. I'll describe that shimmer as being caused by the tiny paint flecks of red and blue (as i don't know how to technically describe it). In any case, while mine has some of those flecks....they're not as aparent.

Sometime in the distant future i plan on figuring out what the difference in these paints is, and if the other is meant to shimmer more, i'll repaint the whole car in it.

on another note.....any opinions on how dark to get tint with the pearl color. i think limo black would look too drastic and am considering something lighter. or would another style of tint look better? any opinions welcomed....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Re: Re: Little info for those with White Pearl paint...(paint estimate)

The most interesting thing i found out from the body guy, was that there are two different pearl paints, each a tri-coat. ]

i meant 3-stage here...i don't even really know what "tri-coat" would mean if anything.....i'll chalk it up to this summer job that's making me dumber.... :p

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I knew it was a 3 stage (tri-coat) paint and I think I know what you're talking about with the extra shimmer pearl paint. I didn't know it had flecks of red and blue in it, but it does give a greater contrast for the pearl effect instead of jst light and dark white ya know?

·
Registered
93 Posts
AverageJoe said:
Well, I knew it was a 3 stage (tri-coat) paint and I think I know what you're talking about with the extra shimmer pearl paint. I didn't know it had flecks of red and blue in it, but it does give a greater contrast for the pearl effect instead of jst light and dark white ya know?
Do "3 stage" and "tri-coat" mean the same thing. If so...maybe that's why I kept wanting to say "tri-coat".

Anyways, yea, that other bird definitely had some reds and blues....it was just sitting there in the sun really shining. You got up real close to it and saw all these little flecks of red and blue paint barely visible. Mine looks more like it has veins or something, instead of individual flecks.

My old bird was black and the pearl makes me think my old favorite color was plain. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
pearl is a pain...

...owned a 93 tbird that was white and it was great to be able to go to AutoZone or what not and get some paint and touch up the spots. Now I have my keeper which is a 96 tbird sport with the tri-coat pearl....i hate not being able to touch it up myself. But if you ever wanted to paint the car again and keep the cool look of tri-coat (not the same shade as stock; but close) you can just paint it white and use custom clear coat to give it the same effect when light hits it. Alot of custom car owners do that (save alot of cash)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
thats what I'm going for on my Supercoupe with the repaint next summer, going with the stock midnight blue basecoat and getting a pearl clear coat over the top to give it the sweet color change look, (it will go from a medium purple to a dark blue depending on how you look at it)

·
Registered
118 Posts
i have tri coat crimson on my 93 sc and it was about $2400 to repaint both sides of it, all but the roof, bumpers hood and trunk, this did however include about $600 in rocker panal repair (damn rust!).

the shop that did it was able to match it very well. i wish i had gotten the trunk done too, i have a 2 inch scratch mark that i touched up cause it was to the metal and you can clearly see the spot cause ford touchup dont match for ****.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A FIX FOR SCRATCHES....

I have a 95 with the "Performance White" 3 stage paint. I had a few little scratches and dings and was able to get them out with a touchup from the Ford dealership. It is a little tiny bottle and was like $10. Basically I had to sand dingw with some 400 grit and a tool I made.
(I will try and explain, this was reccomended to me by my friend who owns a shop)

Use a paper hole punch to get a circle out of the sand paper and glue it with crazy glue to a brand new pencil eraser (this is the exact size) the rubber gives it a little room to flex.

You have to get the ding smooth so it doesn't chip and then put several (I think I did 10-12) very light coats of the touch up with about 15min between coats. than wet sand and buff it out. Than wax.

This only works for small chips....but it works great, they are all gone. Be prepared to spend a few hours though.

And on the Tint. I got 5% (limo) on the back three windows and 20% on the driver and passenger, looks great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts